Help with Presta valves, PLEASE HELP!!!!

briggs28
briggs28 Posts: 68
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Ive Recently bought a Rockhopper expert, its got presta valves.

Anyway first thing i did was buy a couple of slime innertubes, (i swear by them) changed them over. Inflated them, but they wont hold the air.

Also i brought a screw on adapter for my foot pump, so i could pump them up, but it wont inflate them . I tried it on the tubes i took out, and it inflates those ones but the pressure guage doesnt work!

What have i done, or doing wrong?

I also tried the foot pump on a schrader valve, and the pump works fine!!
So fustrating, new bike cant ride it!!!!!!! :evil:

Comments

• Presta valves have a little "screwy uppy bit" on the top of them unlike schraeder valves, have you made sure these are done up?
  • briggs28
    briggs28 Posts: 68
    yeah ive opened the valve. Im gonna take em out and have a look. Hope i aint pinched them, at 8 quid a tube :shock:
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    is the valve blocked with slime? if so push the valve a few times to clear the blockage.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Wheelieguy
    Wheelieguy Posts: 139
    I used to find with these valves when theyve been screwed up tight they stick, so when you undo the little screwy uppy thing, give it a press to break the seal otherwise it will stay jammed up and wont inflate, hope this cures your ailment!
    "Don't ask the reasons why cos there arent any, don't follow convention, never say no, just believe in what you see and let the good times roll!"
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    I drilled my rims, sandpaperd where i drilled (all done carefully!) and used car types, hate presta's

a bit extreame but well worth it haha!
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    I did the same when i bought a mountain bike the presta valves but i couldn't do it on my road bike as the rims are too narrow. Hate presta valves with a passion!
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Not a fan of Presta valves either but the track pump I bought is easy to use with them. Not very practical to take out on the trail though.

When I buy new wheels they will be car type valves.