Clicking noise!

SpaceBadger
SpaceBadger Posts: 113
edited August 2009 in The workshop
Hi all

I get a clicking noise from my bike every time I pedal on the right hand side and it's worse when I stand up to pedal i.e. put more weight on it :? . I've mentioned this to my LBS before when it was going in for a service and it was a lot quieter afterwards but was still there. It has gradually got worse again, suggesting it's something that needs tweaking to keep it at bay.

As you can tell from this post I know diddlysquat about the mechanics :oops: but if anyone's got any ideas of what this might be or if it might be easy for me to 'fix' then I'd be very grateful!

Cheers
"I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Does the end of the gear cable from your front mech get brushed by the crank arm?
  • I don't think so but I will check later. Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest it sounds more like a crunchy click than a click of something tapping on something else if that makes sense?!
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Chainring bolts or skewers?
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Check for play on the bottom bracket. It was certainly to blame one time for me. I ended up getting it replaced and the problem was immediately fixed.

What I tend to do is work through the stress points that are formed when you are out of the saddle. Try swapping to a spare set of wheels for one ride to rule them out as the cause, try a different set of pedals for one ride, etc. Make sure that nothing has worked loose and that everything that should be lubricated is.