Winter Tyres/Winter bike

chopperHarris
chopperHarris Posts: 119
edited August 2009 in The workshop
Now i know im probably being a bit hasty (i like planning ahead)and all that but i have really enjoyed commuting in to london over the last 5 months and want to continue into the colder months of the year as well. I have the warm clothes already as i MTB all year round , its all about the bike

Currently run 700x23 tyres on my specialized Allez which are slippy in the wet, i want to get something new that has more grip for the constant wet roads that will soon be upon us, i want something that rolls well but provides good grip.

OR

Also been thinking about getting a cheap hybrid style bike (max £400) to use as a winter hack, more comfy for the cold wet days flat bars instead of drops etc. Want something with 700c wheels etc and that can handle a 13 mile each way commute.

Which way is best? and any suggestions on either way??

Thanks all in advance
08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
09 Corratec S-light
10 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    keep using your allez, save the 400 and you can then put some nice upgrades on after the winter, maybe some new wheels or a new drivetrain or something!

For tyres, lots of threads on this it's a case of reading a few and then going and buying something. I've not had any issue on 23mm tyres in the wet, and onyl a couple of issues on the ice with them. But each to their own.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    +1. Save the £400 and ride the Allez through the winter.

As for tyres, I wouldn't have thought it would be the 23mm per se that are the problem. Which tyres are you using at the moment? As RW says, I've not had any issues with 23mm in the wet <touches wood>. What me and my tyres have issues with in the wet are metal works/man-hole covers and road markings (and when I've taken a roundabout way too fast... :oops: )
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    If you run the Allez in the winter wet (and especially in salt) make sure you wash and relube often - my poor SCR went scruffy very quickly :(

Michelin Krylions get loads of recommendations on here. I found Bontrager Hardcase tyres cheap and tough for year-round commuting.

If you decide on a cheap hybrid check the Carerra Subway (£220, though they often come up secondhand with little wear). Slap on a pair of City Jets or Panaracer RibMo and 'guards and you're away. I use my old rigid MTB some days and it goes suprisingly well on slicks.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.