Anti Cramp

williamcycles
williamcycles Posts: 11
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Hi just wondering if anyone knows of any good anti cramp drinks/ add-ins? I suffer with cramps and have just found this new product called elete, has anyone heard of it? going to try it out today will get back to you all. William

Comments

• bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    This doesn't belong in the pro race section..

But anything with magnesium helps, but ultimately you're more likely to cramp if you're unfit, or riding beyond your limits.. so train more!
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    This thread will no doubt get moved to the training section, but here's a tip from me.

Believe it or not, I'd suggest making sure your shoes are not fastened too tight. I was getting cramps like a mofo earlier in the summer, and one day as I was pulling my straps very tight as I had been doing I just had a brainwave and let them a bit looser.

Bingo - no cramps since, despite some tough riding including a 130-mile solo ride at an average spped of 18.8mph.

It sounds daft, but honestly I've changed nothing else....
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Cramps? Try Midol.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Bananas, they say. Eat more.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Get all your minerals and vitamins everyday, just like your mum told you to. On the bike, bananas help me a lot, along with proper hydration. Getting some dairy products down regularly also seems to help (not during the ride! yuk!).

And training hard never hurts, of course. Well, it does but... you get what I mean.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    Hi just wondering if anyone knows of any good anti cramp drinks/ add-ins? I suffer with cramps and have just found this new product called elete, has anyone heard of it? going to try it out today will get back to you all. William

I never had an Anti Cramp but I did have an Aunty Mary, she liked to drink Campari and i believe i never heard her complain of anything. :):)
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Many, many years ago they told us to take more SALT,,,,, it seemed to work.?
    It usually caught me after a Lunch stop in February/March after about 50 miles out, so the Training you recomend could be the answer.

Now that I'm past my best, my doctor prescribes Quinine Sulphate.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I'd like to add my endorsement to the first reply. When I started racing I had lots of power for sprints and short bursts but early season I'd always cramp in races because I didn't train hard enough to have a good threshold (1 hour) power. Answer to cramps was simply to train harder. Now I rarely get them.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Thanks for all the help, probs in the wrong section though! tried this elete stuff really works great product stopped my cramps straight away and recovered faster than usual as well. although I dare say that a banana wouldn't harm either nor some more training!
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Tonic water contains very small amounts of quinine, which helps some people wirth cramp.. Have a glass before you race/ride and you should be okay..
    cartoon.jpg