lochs and glens;aberfoyle to killin

inaperfectworld
inaperfectworld Posts: 219
edited December 2009 in Tour & expedition
i did this lat month and just wondered what sort of tyres others have used for this section as some sections particularly the queen elizabeth forest park were much rougher than i expected being stony forest roads. i had got 32 width tyres which coped but they were really suirming about over the stones. not sure that i would have been very happy on the dawes galaxy that i recently sold.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Hi, I have done thid on a MTB with slicks, but I now have a Tricros and think it should be up to the job. It has 32 also. I did it from Callander (as part of Rob Roy Challenge) so maybe the section from Aberfoyle to Callander is the rougher bit.

Hopefully be on it before mid September, just seem to have loads on at weekends now!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    From Aberfoyle, I would take the road over the Duke's Pass rather than the track through the forest, a great road climb with a fantastic descent on the other side.
    If you wanted to you could get back onto the track from the top of the pass, or after the downhill just before Brig o' Turk, otherwise just stay on the road until you meet the track just before Callander.
    Going by road via Brig o' Turk you can stop for food at the Byre Inn, or the Brig o' Turk tea room, or Harbour Cafe at Loch Venachar.
  • roryboy
    roryboy Posts: 44
    ralex wrote:
    From Aberfoyle, I would take the road over the Duke's Pass rather than the track through the forest, a great road climb with a fantastic descent on the other side.
    If you wanted to you could get back onto the track from the top of the pass, or after the downhill just before Brig o' Turk, otherwise just stay on the road until you meet the track just before Callander.
    Going by road via Brig o' Turk you can stop for food at the Byre Inn, or the Brig o' Turk tea room, or Harbour Cafe at Loch Venachar.

The track at the top of the pass is a great option. I've done it on MTB with slicks and all the cafes suggested are pretty much cyclist friendly as my club runs frequent these places of a sunday and swell their coffers by a fair few quid. The scenery is magic the only downside being when back on the road at Brig o' Turk the tour buses tend to take up the road. A wee curiosity just off the road at Brig o' Turk is the cycle tree. story goes, that at the start of world war one a local blacksmith went off to fight and left his bike against an oak tree and when he came back four years later the tree had grown and wrapped itself around the bike. It is still visible to this day witjh the seat stays jammed solid in a bough of the tree with other parts appearing here and there. Park at Brig o' turk tearoom and walk along 2~300 yards and on the left next to a shed you'll come across it.
  • roryboy; that sounds surreal. i have to find a reason to go back. It is the section after Aberfoyle thr' the Queen Elizabeth park which is particularly rough and unless you have a wide tyred touring bike or MTB I would suggest using the road which equally scenic