First xc bike - building it myself

nathanman
nathanman Posts: 129
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Im taking up xc to try and build a bit of fitness and generally stop being a fat f*%k. I have been buying bits off ebay etc to build up a bike and have got the following so far:

Giant terrago frame
Manitou black elite forks
Avid juicy 5's
Deore lx crank, rear and front mechs
Deore shifters
Mavic EX721 rims on deore 475 disc hubs (36 spokes)
hope seat clamp
canondale stem

Being a beginner i dont have huge amounts of knowledge but would like to know if you feel these components will make a good starting bike? also, can you suggest a decent headset for this setup as i dont want to spent fortunes (£20-30) but want something reasonable. Should i go for a different frame as i have read mixed reviews on the terrago(although it looks the same as the xtc frame).

Any help or advice would be very appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you know what type of headset it takes? Ie standard, zero stack.

Be sure all the parts will fit the frame.
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    if its a standard threadless headset,your can't go wrong with a FSA Orbit XL II headset. Can get them for your budget on ebay - just bought one myself not long back.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    If I'm not wrong, those rims are for DH/FR, so you don't need that much weight or strenght for XC.
    Don't know how heavy you are but lighter rims will be better choice.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    +1 for the XL11 headset
  • nathanman
    Xtreem wrote:
    If I'm not wrong, those rims are for DH/FR, so you don't need that much weight or strenght for XC.
    Don't know how heavy you are but lighter rims will be better choice.

Im a big lad (110kg) so wanted to make sure i got kit that would suit.

Thanks for the advice on the orbit XLII, i ordered one today after reading some really good reviews.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Giants very often use a semi integrated /internal or zero stack headset,at least my XTC and Trances and Anthems do.The races are recessed into the frame.

Maybe the Terrrago is different,but I`m not sure the XL 2 is going to fit.......

If it is semi integrated or zero stack,this is what you need:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27947

Explanation of internal headset here:http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12600768
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • nathanman
    Thanks for all the help guys, the XL2 arrived the other day and went in fine with the help of a homemade headset press. It was all alot simpler than i was expecting having done some research on the net. Alli need to do now is sort the juicy 5's as i cant get them to stop knocking on the rotors!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nathanman wrote:
    Thanks for all the help guys, the XL2 arrived the other day and went in fine with the help of a homemade headset press. It was all alot simpler than i was expecting having done some research on the net. Alli need to do now is sort the juicy 5's as i cant get them to stop knocking on the rotors!

wrong rotors or wrong adaptors or missing alignment spacers.

reading through this http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12646834 might help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nathanman
    Thanks for that Nick, i'll shout again if i cant get it right.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as you can see in that topic a picture is worth more than words.

just include the info and most problems can be sorted painlessly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown