Ding'ed the frame

Graydawg
Graydawg Posts: 673
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Thought I would share my pain

Put a nice ding in the down tube of the bike last weekend. Right above the weld where it joins to the BB..... bout the size of a 5p piece.... fortunately it's not punctured the frame and I've been told it will not affect the frame.... so I think I got away with it.....

Besides, it adds character to the bike....

But took some nice gouges out of the bars as well.... Oh the joys - the bike is definately not new anymore :(:(

Think i need to give her a wash as well.... make me feel better...... *CRY*
It's been a while...

Comments

• M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    been there - done that - it's cringe worthy aint it :(
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Send the bike back - they might repalce it ;-)
  • tombate911
    tombate911 Posts: 1,590
    ahh i know the pain, i did my Trek on the first ride out in the lakes, i felt a bit gutted when i did it, but every time i look at the dent now i remember the ride which was brilliant so its not that bad aslong as there is no serious damage to your bikes,
  • skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    as you say it adds character its like the scars we have on our legs get to show off with the biggest ingerys :D
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    The bottom of my downtube and BB have got seriously battered riding in the Lakes - some nasty deep dents and scrapes - doesn't seem to have any actual holes though! I would assume that bit would be built pretty strong.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Graydawg wrote:
    But took some nice gouges out of the bars as well....

Should probably replace those.
  • hi there! i'm new here so first of all my name is Leandro and i'm riding in the Kingdom of Norway.

i have ended up here because i also put a ding on my new *lovely* trek session 88 while riding on a track with some loose gravel. Damn! or maybe not, as some of you say it's life, we shouldnt expect to have our bike perfect and without scars (unless we leave it quiet at home).
    My little concern is if it can affect the stiffness of the frame or if I should worry about the corrosion of the aluminum at that 3mm-ding.
    Another thing is that if I continue to ride like this i will probably get lots of small dings. Anyone has any experience on this? Is it normal to have a dinged down tube without any concerns in terms of safety (i'm talking about small dings, no punctured)?
    well there's nothing i can do about it now so let's ride my bike with character! :)
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    The session 88 has a bit of a reputation for being easily dinged (perhaps it should be badged as for racing only). The shop you bought it from should be able to give it a quick check to make sure that it's OK, with a referral to Trek if necessary.