gear issue on Boardman hybrid pro

probb66
probb66 Posts: 11
edited June 2010 in The workshop
Dont laugh, but i bought a boardmanhybrid pro from halfords. It looks and feels great.
Its been set up twice for gears, but chain comes off, theres a rattling noise in some gears ans some gears wont go in. Anyway I know it needs adjusted. On chain rubbing on the front derailler the Halford tech said I shouldnt use the tenth gear on the smallest front cog due to the angle as this was a transitional gear. It does run at a large angle . Is this the norm for this kind of bike or are they just spinning me a line cos they cant set it up properly. I feel I will have to take it to a lbs but am reluctant as its brand new , done 5 miles and Halford should fix. I just need to clarify the transitional gear excuse

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No one is laughing, great bikes!

There is some truth in what they are saying: it is more apparent on triple set ups though - basically you can replicate the gear in the larger chainring and a slightly larger cog, so the chain is a straighter line.

ie 36/11 is equavelent to 50/16 (ish).

Also gear cables stretch from new (bed in) and will need readjusting. Limit stops may be out though if the chain is derailing.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    probb66 wrote:
    Dont laugh, but i bought a boardmanhybrid pro from halfords. It looks and feels great.
    Its been set up twice for gears, but chain comes off, theres a rattling noise in some gears ans some gears wont go in. Anyway I know it needs adjusted. On chain rubbing on the front derailler the Halford tech said I shouldnt use the tenth gear on the smallest front cog due to the angle as this was a transitional gear. It does run at a large angle . Is this the norm for this kind of bike or are they just spinning me a line cos they cant set it up properly. I feel I will have to take it to a lbs but am reluctant as its brand new , done 5 miles and Halford should fix. I just need to clarify the transitional gear excuse

he is correct about the extreme chain angles for small front / smallest rear. Same applies to largest front / largest rear.

Have a look at Park Tools website and have a go at setting the gears up yourself. take it steady and follow the steps, you won't break anything and if you learn how to do it you will understand more about your bike and how to fix it in the future. Worse case is you end up taking to the LBS which you would have done anyway
    <a>road</a>
  • probb66
    Its back in at Halfords as the gears 1 2 and 3 are not going in properly. Once its sorted LBS will be servicing in future.
  • supersonic
    Why not try adjusting the cable tension yourself? There is a barrel adjuster precisely for that - you can probably sort this in seconds!
  • probb66
    After all my gear issues on my Hybrid Pro that Halfords couldnt fix Chris Boardman himself got involed. He liased with Halfords customer service and put me in touch with Andy who problem managed the issues. Result was I got a new bike. Thanks to Chris for getting involved at customer level and to Andy at the Halford ( Boardman ) help desk for resolving the issue to my satisfaction.
    There are not many companies out there were the top man takes time to put things right directly with the customer. New bike runs like a dream.
  • supersonic
    What was wrong with it then?
  • probb66
    Halfords couldnt tell me. They couldnt fix it. Thats why II got a new one
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    thread resurrection!!!!