Half Marathon

MountainPete
MountainPete Posts: 418
edited October 2009 in Health, fitness & training
At the beginning of this year, I ran my first half marathon. I started with a pulled hamstring and almost unable to walk as a result of a training walk the previous day (totally unrelated!), but I managed to finish in 1hr 55 minutes, which I was very happy with given the circumstances.

I will be running the same race at the beginning of next year, and I want to improve my time to under 1hr 30 minutes. The problem I have is that I don't really enjoy running. My question is, can I get away with doing most of my fitness training on bike, with as few as one or two runs per week? Does anyone have any tips for reducing my time?

I suppose, in a way, I'm asking "what is required to run a half marathon" - is it mostly pure fitness, running technique, stamina, or something else?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    Mountain Pete,

Guess you'll get a number of differing opinions but here's my tuppenceworth:

First up, how much running do you do? My experience is that riding will not help your running significantly other than general fitness. The stresses placed on your body whilst running are greater than when cycling and the fatiqued areas are therefore different.

1.30 is a reasonable target but where did you get this number from? ie can you run a 10 sub 40 minutes or a 5k sub 20? because if not then 1.30 for a half is probably a stretch.

Obviously I'm coming from this not knowing how much running you do. I'd suggest 3-4 runs a week minimum of various types ie 1 long, 1 steady/easy, 1 interval and one tempo/fartlek..

One other question, if you don't really enjoy running, why are you doing it? The only reason I ask is that if folks do not enjoy what they are doing then they are less likely to folow it through
  • It depends how much running you did last year - 1.55 to 1.30 is a big drop, although perfectly possible if you were injured last year and do some decent training. I've come to cycling from a running background ( half-marathon best of 1.14 ) and now do about 60% of my training on a road bike, mainly to avoid injury. I use the bike for the endurance / aerobic component of my training, and concentrate on quality when I'm running. I know a lot of other runners who have a big bike component in their training, and run well up to mrathon distance and beyond.

To get to 1.30 though, I suspect you'll need to run more than twice a week - my minimum reccomendation would be 4 times, with a weekly running mileage at around 25. You get nothing for free.....and if you don't enjoy it, maybe you'd be better sticking on the bike ?
  • I did do a fair bit of training last year, but I started quite late. My target was 1:45, which would have easily been possible provided I started fresh. I had a 10 mile route which I ran once a week, and had a couple of shorter routes which I did 2 or 3 times a week. Perhaps me saying that I "don't enjoy" running is a bit harsh - it's just that I find cycling much more engaging, and I get bored if I run the same routes. I did try and chop and change as much as I could, but desigining a 10 mile route that is totally different from another isn't easy and is quite time consuming.

At the moment I'm not running, but I'm out on the (mountain) bike 3 or 4 times a week.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    If you enjoy running but tend to get a bit bored, i'd join a running club. You'll do the type of training that you'll find tough to motivate yourself to do by yourself eg, hill effort/sprints/medium length tempo runs etc and i've found i'm far more tired after a club run as you just generally put in more effort (having someone to aim to catch on that hill sprint, keeping up with a group who a just outside of your comfort zone etc)

You'll run more varied routes and with the company and banter it'll be more intersting. I've recently run a 1:59 half marathon and just joined a local social running club, not the local AC and they run 2 groups and i'm mid/high level in the lower group so you could probably go with either type.

I do think that dropping your time from 1h55 to 1h30 is unrealistic. I'd race a 10k every 6 weeks or so to chart your progress and this should give you a realistic time to aim for for your half, which can be adjusted upwards or downwards dependent on how you 10k races go. Like others have said, you're currently just plucking numbers out of the air
  • Thanks for that - I'll take a look and see if there are any clubs I can join. Failing that, I'm sure I can get a small group together myself!

More on the running training: I know that interval and hill training will increase my running speed, which will (obviously) improve my time. I know a few people who go by the theory that "if I can run 7 miles at x. speed, I can run 13" - is that entirely correct? My worry would be that I would burn out at the 7 miles (or however far) I've trained to. Can cycling help me here, by improving my stamina?
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    You can improve general fitness as someone has said but the problem is running puts a totally different strain on the body and with all the fitness in the world your knees and ankles won't be up to the task without adequate prerparation.

I cycle a pretty big distance (145 miles per week) but my time on a 7.5 mile run is several minutes off what I could get when I was just running three times per week (with two of those three being shorter distances).
  • i totally agree with feltkuota, it is achieveable but set more achievable goals to help you get there. 20 min 5k and 40 min 10k are equivalent benchmarks at their distances as 90 mins is for a half marathon. but because they are shorter distances they will be easier to achieve.

i would say a minimum of three sessions per week so long as you cross train (bike, sport etc). they would be your endurance session, building up 10% max per week (time not distance), a tempo run at 80% of your working heart rate, and a speed session also known as intervals. try 6 x 400m of 90s each with 90s rest in between, warm upa nd cool down properly.

these three sessions will make you a much stronger runner, with some basic speed but also a good base of endurance. i would also say build your long run up to over 13 miles if possible. if you want to race fast, you need to know your body is more than prepared for the distance.
  • Are you a biker that does a bit of running? Or a runner that does a bit of biking?
    I think if you are ambitious about a half marathon time you really need running to be your main focus.
    When I was running seriously I used the bike just to give my body a break from the pounding, but maintain cardiovascular fitness.
    My first half marathon was 1.26 which was on a solid training platform. I improved on that by joining a club and getting some proper structured training.

Shorter races are a help as well as speed endurance training, if you get your body used to running faster then the pace needed for your half-m becomes much more comfortable.
    Also a weekly long run - steady as you like - is essential, I used to like to get out for 2-3 hours, but at least do a few runs of race distance or more if poss.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281

The problem I have is that I don't really enjoy running.

If you dont enjoy running why bother doing a half marathon?

Why not enter into longer cycling events instead?

Tino
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • Spot on Tino.
    I used to love running, but could not imagine doing all that hard work if you don't enjoy it :?
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I find alternate days running and cycling compliment each other perfectly. Oh and some weights. And a bit of surfing. And swimming.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i am supposed to be running a half marathon next month, my legs are knowhere near it yet tho.
    so i had to start running again a few weeks ago. training is not going well, mainly because i dont enjoy running. i stopped running for about a year when i got a mountain bike.
    i did a half marathon few years back when i used to run loads, problem is that i have my mind set on beating that time of think it was 1hr 36
    my training so far:
    week 1)started off with 5 km speed runs-just 5km as fast as i could-once/twice a week
    weeks 2 and 3) 4-5 mile runs-once a week at high pace
    then though right your legs are running again now,plan to run once a week
    week 4). - 6 mile run
    week 5). - 8mile run legs were in agony after 6 miles
    week 6) started running slower (below 78% heart rate) 7 miles
    week 7) didnt run
    week 8) 8 mile run- not as bad as last time, but much slower pace
    week 9) 8.5 mile run-groin and calf went
    week 10 today) decided to do it on treadmil, managed 10 miles at a slow pace then my calve went again. was definately easier on treadmil, leg ok straight after it but aching like hell now too 83 minutes which is very slow because was running below 75 % heart rate.

i feel confident that i can train my legs another 3 miles within 6 weeks, i know i need to run more than once a week, but i just cant find the motivation, i much prefer to go mountain biking.
    i have set myself the new target of 1hr 45 cos the challenge at the moment is just completing the damn distance, when i used to run i was 8 kg lighter before i started lifting weights.

how do you find motivation to mae yourself run? any other tips to get the endurance in my legs?
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • I'd forgotten about this thread - sorry all! It has made some very interesting reading and I agree that I just need to get out there and run!

rhyko7 - that is an interesting account and I would be very interested to hear how you get on.
  • It may be an interesting account, but as preparation for a half marathon its ridiculous!
    Sorry mate but running only once a week is a waste of time and is only gonna lead to 13.1 miles of misery - whats the point?
    I'm sure you'll probably finish it but doubt you'll be in any state to do anything else for several days.

Ah well best of luck, hope you don't pick up an injury that would stop you getting out enjoying your mtb :wink:
  • rhyko7
    It may be an interesting account, but as preparation for a half marathon its ridiculous!
    Sorry mate but running only once a week is a waste of time and is only gonna lead to 13.1 miles of misery - whats the point?
    I'm sure you'll probably finish it but doubt you'll be in any state to do anything else for several days.

Ah well best of luck, hope you don't pick up an injury that would stop you getting out enjoying your mtb :wink:

jeez christ you really slammed me down there!
    my plan isnt to run once a week, thats just what always happens, i willl make an effort in couple weeks to start running twice or more a week. ile do one long one then 1 or two shorter ones.
    it is going to be at least 5 miles of misery at the end no doubt! i shouldnt have let myself be roped into doing it.
    i releaved its 13.1 miles thought there was another 0.1 :wink:

my riding:

• Sorry to be so harsh mate - but to train for a running race you need to run, biking dont work as I found out to my expense a month or so ago. And that was just a 5k race!

I managed to get down from 1.26 to 1.12 for the half, but not without a hell of a lot of work.
  • rhyko7
    Sorry to be so harsh mate - but to train for a running race you need to run, biking dont work as I found out to my expense a month or so ago. And that was just a 5k race!

I managed to get down from 1.26 to 1.12 for the half, but not without a hell of a lot of work.

i just want to complete it really, the time taget is just a guess, im sure i will get under 1hr 45 tho.
    im gonna start running twice a week soon, im training for an mtb enduro aswell which is longer than i have ever ridden, so been concentrating more on that,and i do weights couple time a week too, its not that im being lazy and avoiding running,im training one way or another 5/6 days a week.
    once i get the mtb distance in the bag i will start running more, especially as the nights are closing in and the weather is turning pants.
    thanks for the kick up the arse and reality check tho lol.i probably needed it

my riding:

• J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    Sorry to be so harsh mate - but to train for a running race you need to run, biking dont work as I found out to my expense a month or so ago. And that was just a 5k race!

1:12 for a half is winners pace, well done!

Im happy with my 2:12 :lol:
  • I have to say that sub 1.45 with minimal training is tough. This is generally all 8 minute miles maximum. I run twice a week and complete around 5 or 6 10k races a year and i push to break 50mins normally. To complete a half sub 1.45 you are running at a pace some low end club runners do.

Good luck.
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    wooohooooo!

The official times have changed for some reason, I reckon they initially took the half way time and doubled it. Those that ran it will know the half way mat was waaaay before the half way point.

Official time 2:06:24

Well chuffed!
  • rhyko7
    Jumanji wrote:
    I have to say that sub 1.45 with minimal training is tough. This is generally all 8 minute miles maximum. I run twice a week and complete around 5 or 6 10k races a year and i push to break 50mins normally. To complete a half sub 1.45 you are running at a pace some low end club runners do.

Good luck.

haha cheers dude
    i did another run today
    i ran for 42 minutes and did about 5 miles or so, i was running below 80% heart rate but the pace still seemed quite good.
    not sure how quick i could do 10 km
    i can do 5km on the treadmill in under 20 minutes so prob do 10 km in about 45/50 mins i guess.
    after this week i shall take the training a bit more seriously, doing Brecon enduro sunday so my focus has been more training for that
    half marathon here i come, ile keep posting my runs so you can all laugh at my pathetic half arsed training haha

my riding:

• rhyko7
    i did another run today
    i did 4 miles on the raod below 80% HR in 29:58
    this HR zone training seems to have paid off, i could never go that quick without breathing hard before.
    i know its a short run considering im training for 13 miles, but i did the Brecon Enduro yesterday and legs feeling a bit stiff-this is the event that i have been training for instead of half marathon, now its done i can start taking my running training a bit more seriously.

i shall head out again towards end of week and do a longer run 8-12 miles.

im thinking of doing the forrest of dean enduro too at end of month, doubt ile train for it tho!

my riding:

• rhyko7
    i did my half marathon today in this horrible windy rain, i think you guys were right, running once a week was probably not enough, ah well my goal was just to finish it really so i did that ok. i can barely get up my stairs no tho, i think half of that was due to my sprint finish.

i did it in 1 hour 43 mins 15 secs - a bit dissapointing but i went really slow for the 1st 45 minutes to make sure i had plenty of energy at the end. i did the second half about 5 minutes quicker than the 1st half

my riding:

• Well done fella