Who's the best female road racing rider ever?

DoubleTop
DoubleTop Posts: 48
edited September 2009 in Amateur race
I was going to ask the best male ever, but you could have so many answers for the best male. But the question is the best female ever?

Can anyone come up with a better suggestion to Nicole Cooke - current olympic, world, 10 times British National champion, MBE, plus
2002 Commonwealth Games Road Race
2003 La Flèche Wallonne
2004 Giro d'Italia Femminile
2005 La Flèche Wallonne
2006 La Flèche Wallonne
2006 Grande Boucle - female Tour De France
2007 Ronde van Vlaanderen
2007 Grande Boucle

For me Nicole is simply the best for the last 10 years, just think of the number of break aways she has to have covered and to still come out the winner is just stagering.

Who is better than Nicole? If anyone?

Thank you
DoubleTop

Comments

• Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Beryl Burton.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    As above Beryl Burton without a doubt.
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    Jeannie Longo
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Nicole is definately in the top 5, and it is close. But at the moment it still has to be Jeannie Longo from Beryl Burton.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Currently I'd say Marianne Vos is as good as Nicole Cooke.

Best females ever though have to be Jeannie Longo and Beryl Burton, can't really split them as they were different riders in different times.
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    Jeannie Longo is still in the business; she is 2009 French Time Trial Champion
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Got to be Beryl Burton, I can't recall another women holding a time record that was faster than a mans.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Beryl Burton.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Jeannie Longo and Fabiana Luperini.

There are a bunch of others too, who would probably pip Nicole Cooke, depending how you assessed them all - Leontien Van Moorsel, Marie Canins, Judith Arndt, even Hanka Kupfernagel (who, like Marianne Vos, has had success both on the road and at cross), Beryl Burton, Yvonne Reinders (she was Burton’s main competitor on the track, with almost as many honours, but she had more honours on the road than Burton).
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    LIZ HATCH.
    Not sure if shes won anything, but shes very "talented..." It's what I look for in a female racer.

Is that suitably patronising to women everywhere...? :)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • nolf wrote:
    LIZ HATCH.
    Not sure if shes won anything, but shes very "talented..." It's what I look for in a female racer.

I don't know, she seems to be famous seemingly because she gets her boobs out a lot when she races. Don't know if you saw the discussion on OREC over one of her maxim photos, but the amount of fawning over her was pathetic.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    nolf wrote:
    LIZ HATCH.

I don't know, she seems to be famous seemingly because she gets her boobs out a lot when she races. Don't know if you saw the discussion on OREC over one of her maxim photos, but the amount of fawning over her was pathetic.

When I said talent that was more of an innuendo than anything else...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • nolf wrote:
    nolf wrote:
    LIZ HATCH.

When I said talent that was more of an innuendo than anything else...

I know.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • I'll go Beryl Burton too :D

Liz Hatch.....there was the same controversy about Paulo Pezzo when she won the Atlanta Olympic MTB Gold in 1996...she was showing a fair amount of flesh etc.. in that skinsuit :shock:
    BAZZ
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Between Longo & Burton
    I had the privilage of meeting & chatting to BB a few times,very straight forward,no airs & graces...a smashing woman.
    Also I used to race with Mick McNamara,Whose dad was famously caught by BB,whilst they were both setting Comp record for the 12 hr TT,so met both sides of a bit of TT history!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • liz hatch is the obvious choice ;)
    It Never Gets Easier, you just get Faster and luckier.

UEA Road Captain

Planet X SL pro carbon - sram rival
  • i would also have to nominate emma johansson as a very talented rider http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/in ... mmajoh.jpg :wink:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Burton
  • Burton would not only kick the men's asses,
    but talk them up as she passed...
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Burton and then Longo
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Longo, she's won more at international level than Burton.