dry mouth and tt's

phelim1
phelim1 Posts: 53
edited August 2009 in Amateur race
this past couple of weeks i have had severe dry mouth tt'ing for the first 3/4 miles. does anybody else get this or maybe it is just nerves.

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Are you drinking plenty of fluid prior to the start, a dry mouth is an indication of dehydration. It is never particularly good to start a TT with a dry mouth. Try sucking on a sweet as well, that will produce saliva, but also drink at least 500ml whilst warming up prior to the start.
  • phelim1
    would drink water throughout the day and 500ml of sis in warm up, i will try a sweet tomorrow nite.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    if your talking 10`s forget the sis you don't need it
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • phelim1
    i am talking about 10's, why not use sis in warm up?
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    make sure you drink enough through out the day. Have a quick sip just to wet your mouth in the minutes before you go off. You should only get a dry mouth after 2 or 3 miles. Keep moving the saliva you do have, around in your mouth to keep the whole mouth moist.

also, Its so short you won't need and energy drink because a 10 is so short by the time you feel tired and have no energy it will have finished.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    When I rode TT's, I used to take a swig of Glycerin before the race. It's thick and sugary, and helps coat the back of the throat and mouth, stopping it becoming dry. Worked for me!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I did my first 10 a couple of weeks ago. Had a 5 mile ride to the start to use as a warm-up and was sipping on a bottle of High5 4:1 on the way, and for the 10-15 min I waited around at the start. I had about half the bottle left by the start, and once I got going my mouth went really dry. I guess nerves/adrenaline may play a part, I didn't think I was too dehydrated when I started.

It didn't seem to be too much of a problem - I took a good few sips in the first miles and slipped into concentrating on my pacing, and I suppose I forgot about the dry mouth after that!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    bikerZA wrote:
    When I rode TT's, I used to take a swig of Glycerin before the race. It's thick and sugary, and helps coat the back of the throat and mouth, stopping it becoming dry. Worked for me!

Interesting. I have seen a few articles recently about glycerol loading as a way of staying very well hydrated - it usually involves taking on a bit in the hours leading up to the event though. Will try to dig some stuff out - a recent edition of 220 had an article about it.
    Le Blaireau (1)