Numb fingers

Bianchi Boy
Bianchi Boy Posts: 323
edited September 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Went out MTBing ten days ago and after the ride the two small fingers on each hand were slightly numb. This has happened before but has cleared up quite quickly. Ten days on and they are still numb. Thinking of going to see the quack. Has anybody else experienced this? What causes it? Should it have cleared up by now?

Comments

• grips...

change them to thicker ones.

Also try one finger braking... i found that switching to 1 finger stopped my hands getting sore/numb.
  • mugs
    mugs Posts: 46
    My little fingers went numb on my first ride with mitts. I put it down to where the padding was positioned on the palm. Nothing else had changed and it had never happened before.

But yes, it should have cleared up within 10 days. Go and get looked at. As for what causes it, it's usually linked to cold conditions, poor/intermittant bloodflow or vibration. Have your fingers changed colour at all? if so you might have white finger, which is a form of Raynauds. Google it.

Perfect excuse to buy a really trick front fork to cut out chatter. Where's that Fox brochure.....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ergon grips... almost certainly fix it.

If not then you need to look at your control position
  • blenky
    blenky Posts: 7
    Looking for more comfortable XC grips myself. Pretty new to m/biking so thinking of one of the Ergon grips for a Monkeylite CNT bar. Any suggestions anyone??
  • Ive got ergon grips on my bike and I think they are really good, esp with the horns fitted.
  • oki
    oki Posts: 123
    could be handlebar angle or wrist/finger position, badly fitting gloves too.

i custom modded my pc mouse a while back so it had a moulded finger groove on the button, constant numbing made me realise it was caused by continuous pressure on the joints of the finger, even tho it was very light pressure for a couple of hours, the numbness lasted a couple of days at a time, kinda freaked me out.
    after cutting a little dip under where my interphalangeal joint sat it went away totally.
    doesnt help that im a skinny git and have very little padding either.
    "It\'s so easy, Even Drummer can do it"
  • sometimes just having your seat a little too high, making you lean over the bars more can cause problems too.

a small, cramped bike will also give you troubles, wrist and back problems. so look at the larger picture too, not just grips. like mentioned it can cause the on set of vibration white finger, and there is no cure once you get it.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy