Best upgrades for Carrera Vulcan

Octane85
Octane85 Posts: 17
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

New here (and to MTB'ing) so be nice ;)

I bought myself a Carrera Vulcan a few months back, as i wanted to get a bike to help get fit etc, but didn't want to spend too much just in case i didn't get the use out of it.
After reading the reviews on here and other places, i figured for £250 it was the best bike i was going to get (brand new), so i was happy with that.

After a couple months usage, it seems the bug has bitten, and i now want bigger and better, but i can't justify buying a new bike to her indoors :(

So, i've been looking at upgrading.

I am completely new to the bike world, and so would appreciate any help/thoughts on upgrading the shocks and brakes on the bike (and anything else that would make a difference to be honest).
I am realistic in that i'm not looking for a £600 pair of forks, etc as i know that the bike is not worth spending that kind of money on. But i do want better than i currently have.

Budget would be around £150 for forks, and similar for brakes (might need more for brakes as i was thinking hydraulic?
)
Bike is an '08 Carrera Vulcan Disc spec with Suntour XCM forks, and Tektro IO.mechanical discs.

Only things i've changed are the saddle, now a Fizik Gobi XM, and a quick release seat post clamp.

My main use is general trail/XC and will be looking to get up to Llandegla in future, but no big drops/jumps etc.

Sorry if i'm talking rubbish, but i don't really know much about the whole MTB scene at the moment. :oops:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The forks are not too bad for a bike of this price, but an RS Tora SL will be a leap forward. These can be had for £130.

I would also change the tyres for some lightweight folding versions, such as the Continental Mountain King Protection. Massive weight savings to be had here, plus performance increase.

You can get a set of Deore Hydros for 100 quid.

But let's put this in perspective: £300 budget, plus sell your bike and you could get a Carrera Fury which has even better parts, frame, forks, etc.

So my actual advice would be to get the new bike, or just replace tyres and enjoy what you have ;-)
  • Octane85
    supersonic wrote:
    So my actual advice would be to get the new bike, or just replace tyres and enjoy what you have ;-)

i had a feeling you would say that. :lol:

In all honesty i would rather upgrade - i know it doesn't make financial sense, but i can spread my upgrades out over a couple of months, and get to learn more about the technical side of the bike (and bikes in general), have fun doing it and also have the satisfaction of having my own custom (albeit based on a budget frame) bike.

Hopefully you see my thought pattern in that one.

I know it would make more sense to just buy a better bike outright, but i'm a sucker for modifying an upgrading anything (cars normally) and that's where i get my enjoyment (obviously riding the bike too).

Thanks for the advice on the tyres though, much appreciated 8)
  • supersonic
    I'd certainly look at that Tora then lol. The 318 version can be picked up cheaply too in some places.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    i would still follow sheeps advice, sell up and buy new thought,

You will ebcome a decent mechanic as you service and clean your bike thoroughly!
  • Sonics right, weight savings will make a massive difference to the feel of the bike and can be relatively easily achieved.

I understand totally about upgrading over time rather than buying a new bike, budgets can be mega tight for a lot of people, im still upgrading mine ha ha !! :D
  • Octane85
    edited August 2009
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd certainly look at that Tora then lol. The 318 version can be picked up cheaply too in some places.

Good stuff...

Might be a daft question to somebody experienced, but i've found the forks below around my budget, but which are the best would you say (and why if you don't mind explaining)?

RS Tora SL Coil
    RS Dart 3 '09
    RS Tora 302 Solo Air

I couldn't find any Tora 318's for this budget?

Also, what would i need to check when buying?
    As in, are there different steerer tube diameters that i need to look out for? how about IS and Post Mounts etc?

I can find out all the info myself, but i don't actually know what info i should be looking for?

Thanks, and sorry for all the (probably daft) questions.
  • Octane85
    Sonics right, weight savings will make a massive difference to the feel of the bike and can be relatively easily achieved.

I understand totally about upgrading over time rather than buying a new bike, budgets can be mega tight for a lot of people, im still upgrading mine ha ha !! :D

Yes, for me, the decision to upgrade is partly budget related, but like i say, i also love the upgrading process... making something custom, and better than before.

Like i said before, i do realise it would make more sense to just stump up and get a new bike, but that for me is not what i want to do.
  • supersonic
    The numbered Toras (289,302,318) have burlier chassis than the more XC oriented lettered Toras (ie the SL and Race). However this makes them a little heavier, but the air versions of the former can still be lighter as air springs are lighter than coils.

The 318 gets the motion control damper which makes it a great fork. JE James were doing them for £140.

The Dart is just not worth considering, lies below all these.
  • Octane85 wrote:
    Sonics right, weight savings will make a massive difference to the feel of the bike and can be relatively easily achieved.

Yes, for me, the decision to upgrade is partly budget related, but like i say, i also love the upgrading process... making something custom, and better than before.

Like i said before, i do realise it would make more sense to just stump up and get a new bike, but that for me is not what i want to do.

Totally get you mate, you could say the same about most peoples rides, most of us upgrade our rides and even those who can afford to buy a new bike normally change at least a few bits, there is satisfaction in building your own unique machine, at least it stands out from the others - however I have to agree if I had the money I would buy a new bike but life isnt always that simple !!
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    Totally get you mate, you could say the same about most peoples rides, most of us upgrade our rides and even those who can afford to buy a new bike normally change at least a few bits, there is satisfaction in building your own unique machine, at least it stands out from the others - however I have to agree if I had the money I would buy a new bike but life isnt always that simple !!

There's also the fact that by adding/changing kit yourself, you can get the exact set-up you want.

To buy a complete upgraded bike isn't always the best (or even cheapest) solution.
    The next model up in the range might get you the Forks you want, but may not have the right drivetrain or brakes, etc (or vice versa).

The difference in cost from my bike to the first one in the range with Toras fitted was 3 times the cost of the Toras. Although I did get a good deal on the forks.
    But in the end, it meant I actually saved money.
  • Octane85
    Thanks for the help (and understanding that i want to upgrade and not buy new) guys, much appreciated.

Another daft question though, how can i tell if i have IS or Post Mounts ?
    I can't seem to find anywhere that tells me :x
  • supersonic
    Have a look in the Workshop section ;-)
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    You may want to consider rolling weight. I.e Tyres/wheels etc. Deffo go for new tyres, single best investment you can make in terms of price/performance increase.

I would then consider hydro brakes. You can pick up a decent set from the likes of Magura or even a Shimano SLX for under a ton off ebay and maybe with a sale new.

If you do change the forks make sure your new forks won't void any warranty. I.e swappnig for a longer travel fork changes the frame angle and can void your frame warranty, as long as the new fork is the same or very close to the same travel you should be fine.
  • Wheelieguy
    Wheelieguy Posts: 139
    I also ride a vulcan 08 disc spec, ive swapped my forks for dart II's as theyre a stronger fork for my weight, my disc brakes for avid elixir-R hydraulics, but i desperatley need to swap my tyres and gripss, i did the black route at dalby forest and i was shocked at how well my bike coped today, at times i felt i needed bigger discs for more stopping power so thats a possible next upgrade, your front and rear discs btw, are I/S fitment not post mount.

Can i ask one thing though, where did you source your Q/R seat clamp/skewer as i cant seem to find one and its annoying the hell out of me, please advise and you will make me a very happy bunny as ive bought two now that dont fit :roll:
    "Don't ask the reasons why cos there arent any, don't follow convention, never say no, just believe in what you see and let the good times roll!"
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Wheelieguy wrote:
    Can i ask one thing though, where did you source your Q/R seat clamp/skewer as i cant seem to find one and its annoying the hell out of me, please advise and you will make me a very happy bunny as ive bought two now that dont fit :roll:

I'd like to know this too, if you don't mind sharing. Would save me trying to find one which fits correctly :wink:
  • Wheelieguy
    Wheelieguy Posts: 139
    asdfhjkl wrote:
    Wheelieguy wrote:

I'd like to know this too, if you don't mind sharing. Would save me trying to find one which fits correctly :wink:

Got my dad to go to my LBS today and get mine measured for a clamp, the size is 31.8mm

Its a common size so most LBS's should stock one this size!
    "Don't ask the reasons why cos there arent any, don't follow convention, never say no, just believe in what you see and let the good times roll!"
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Wheelieguy wrote:
    asdfhjkl wrote:
    Wheelieguy wrote:

Got my dad to go to my LBS today and get mine measured for a clamp, the size is 31.8mm

Its a common size so most LBS's should stock one this size!

Thanks!