Crankset

mattie007
mattie007 Posts: 98
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi, this is my first post on bikeradar despite being a keen biker for as long as I can remember!
Ive always had cheapish bikes and 6 months later the gears, brakes, wheels all fail!
Anyway Ive now got myself a Giant Terrago that I purchased in 2007. Its an amazing bit of kit compared to my old bikes! Its used everyday to bike to work and then some proper biking at weekends, so around 50-60 miles a week.

I must confess though, the only maintenance I do on it, is occasionally spray some gt40 on the chain a quick wash every 6 months!

Took it to a local bikeshop today and they basically said everythings worn, pads, drivetrain and rear wheel. Not bad for nearly 6000 miles I suppose!

They were a bit pricy though so Im looking at this - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25146

Any good?

Also, are drivetrains easy to fit? Thanks!
'07 Giant Terrago - Gone but not forgotten....thankyou Center Parcs...... :(

'11 Giant Talon 0

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    your frame may well need facing and you will need the correct tools to remove your old cranks and BB and the correct tools to fit the new BB cups.

How toos can be found on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • What do you mean by 'frame facing'?

Thanks for the quick reply!

'11 Giant Talon 0
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    That chainset is no longer available on CRC. It is a good one though. What about the Shimano SLX one?

To fit an external BB/Chainset you need the BB shell faced (prolongs bearing life) & the correct tool to fit the chainset & BB
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mattie007 wrote:
    What do you mean by 'frame facing'?

Thanks for the quick reply!

it is all on parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy B
    Dammit Nick ;)

By the time I've posted this no doubt you'll have explained facing, so I won't bother!
  • Doubt I will have those tools lying around then!
    I looked at the LX mainly because of the price. Got a centre parcs holiday coming up and just want a good value set before I go.

What do you guys reckon about my bike? Any good?

When I was told it will need £200 spending on it, I thought of just spending that on a new bike!

'11 Giant Talon 0
  • Andy B
    £200 will not get you a bike of equal spec or quality to what you have.

£200 sounds reasonable for the parts required, provided they are of a decent quality.

I wouldn't use GT 85 as a chain lube though, it's pretty poor as one. Finish line make good lubes.
  • Thats a good point. The parts he showed me were of equal or better spec.
    Thanks for the help!

'11 Giant Talon 0