Pedals!!!

robjames92
robjames92 Posts: 11
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi i have decided to embark on buying some mountain bike shoes Specialized BG Sport in the end as i tried my mates the other day luckily he has the same shoe size! As i had a go wi the shoes etc i had a few comedy falls what i have read about etc at 0 mph. the pedals my friend has got is some Shimano M424 SPD MTB Pedals althogh i found these easy to clip in found them really hard to get out of. so i was just wonderin has anyone got any suggestions on what pedals to buy easy to clip out of etc. i do abit of road and alot of off road so i just need some advice on the pedal to buy please. Thanks for your help!!

Robjames92

Comments

• Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    I have Shimano M540's and M520's at the moment on 2 of my bikes.

Both of these can be adjusted to change how much force is required to release your foot.

When your new to them, have them slack to avoid the comedy fall-offs (I did it a few times, ended up on my back with the bike up in the air still attached to my feet); as you get used to them tighten them up a little untill you dont accidentally un-clip when powering up hills and stuff.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • I have the Shimano XTRs - they give you quite a bit of side to side movement before you clip out, but will hold your foot in no matter how hard you pull up. For me they are absolutely perfect, and I can't fault them.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    If adjusting the tension doesn't give you the desired result, you could try a set of multi-release cleats.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10969

Persevere with them and it'll be second nature soon enough.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Don't overlook Crank bros-candys etc.Far easier to clip in and out of,IMO
  • I just recently bought a set of Shimano 520s for my mountain bike (and a second set for a yet to be purchased roadie) and have actually just arrived home after 90 mins in the saddle.

It was my first outting with my new pedals and I loved it all. It'll take some time to get used to clipping out at stops, only 2 stops on my journey and nearly fell at them both. I love the security of being clipped in though, makes it a bit easier on the climbs.
  • thanks for the reply guys all advice is great. I think i might buy some 540's seems a popular choice r they worth the buy?? Also just wondein if i did buythese could i also purchase some multi rlease cleats for them. Thanks again

Robjames92
  • Shatner
    Shatner Posts: 20
    Been using a set of M520's for over a year. They've taken loads of abuse and have required zero maintenance as yet, and 20 quid a pair so I dont worry whenever I clobber them on rocks etc. Oh and they shed mud well too.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    robjames92 wrote:
    thanks for the reply guys all advice is great. I think i might buy some 540's seems a popular choice r they worth the buy?? Also just wondein if i did buythese could i also purchase some multi rlease cleats for them. Thanks again

Robjames92

They'll come with a set of normal cleats, so if you want to try multi release cleats you'd need to buy them seperately. I've never used multi release, so don't know how well they work, but it gives you another option.