Drugs and sports

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
edited August 2009 in Pro race
I was in a bookstore the other day, which had a very well stocked magazine stand. Just about every mag on the market(well, in English anyway). I was struck by the somewhat amazing number of bodybuilding mags that were available. There must have been twice as many different ones as all the cycling and triathlon rags put together. This got me to thinking(I know, a little knowledge is dangerous) about how popular bodybuilding was, even though it is more than likely worse off, as far as doping, than cycling ever was. If this is true and the doping critics are right about drugs killing cycling why is bodybuilding still around and, by the looks of it, very popular? This may be an over simplification but it
got me thinking.

Comments

• I think drugs mainly kill sports that you have to get into as a child. Parents won't want to get their children into a sport where they think they'll need to take drugs to be competitive later in life. For example, it is very hard to be competitive at swimming unless you do serious amounts of training from a young age. There are exceptions, but the vast majority of top swimmers have trained from a very young age. If parents believed drug taking were rife in swimming, they would prefer to get their children involved in a different sport.

Bodybuilding, on the other hand, is something people get into as adults, so it doesn't need parental approval. Also, the magazines are bought by people who aren't bodybuilders as such, but want to improve their physique a bit for aesthetic reasons.

The really interesting thing about bodybuilding to me, though, is that there is drug free "natural" bodybuilding, but it doesn't have the success that the no holds barred take what you want bodybuilding does.
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    The really interesting thing about bodybuilding to me, though, is that there is drug free "natural" bodybuilding, but it doesn't have the success that the no holds barred take what you want bodybuilding does.
    They could have that in cycling too! 8)

Seriously though as strange as this may sound on a strongly anti doping cycling forum you must ask yourselves why would you want to get rid of doping in bodybuilding - does it not serve in making the sport more special and interesting? I do think it would kill the sport if doping tests were rife as they are in cycling, and for what? If the pros all wish to dope why should we get in their way? (Yes I know there are probably many reasons but...)

I strongly suspect that most people want to see a freak show rather that a boring old natural contest in bodybuilding. Even if the top pro bodybuilders made next to no money from their job they would still probably be doping if they could to improve their bodies because its probably so much more fun than not doing so for them.

Some people just like to be "spiced up" or enhanced even if they make no money from doing so but just for pleasure.
  • dennisn
    Murr X wrote:
    They could have that in cycling too! 8)

Seriously though as strange as this may sound on a strongly anti doping cycling forum you must ask yourselves why would you want to get rid of doping in bodybuilding - does it not serve in making the sport more special and interesting? I do think it would kill the sport if doping tests were rife as they are in cycling, and for what? If the pros all wish to dope why should we get in their way? (Yes I know there are probably many reasons but...)

I strongly suspect that most people want to see a freak show rather that a boring old natural contest in bodybuilding. Even if the top pro bodybuilders made next to no money from their job they would still probably be doping if they could to improve their bodies because its probably so much more fun than not doing so for them.

Some people just like to be "spiced up" or enhanced even if they make no money from doing so but just for pleasure.

By the same token, does doping in cycling make it more interesting(as opposed to "natural")?
    See the "freak show"? Oh yeah, top level bodybuilding contests are great shows. Simply amazing.
    As for "spiced up or enhanced". There are plenty of people out there looking to look good in a tight t-shirt and more than a few of them turn to drugs.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    I was in a bookstore the other day, which had a very well stocked magazine stand. Just about every mag on the market(well, in English anyway). I was struck by the somewhat amazing number of bodybuilding mags that were available. There must have been twice as many different ones as all the cycling and triathlon rags put together. This got me to thinking(I know, a little knowledge is dangerous) about how popular bodybuilding was, even though it is more than likely worse off, as far as doping, than cycling ever was. If this is true and the doping critics are right about drugs killing cycling why is bodybuilding still around and, by the looks of it, very popular? This may be an over simplification but it
    got me thinking.

From what I can gather after a quick Google, bodybuilding has two circuits - the IFBB circuit, which is the official IOC-endorsed circuit, and the "natural bodybuilding" circuit, which is a spin-off.

The IFBB doesn't "allow" or encourage drugs, per se, but doesn't test for them. The natural circuit does urine tests and polygraph(!) tests.

Why isn't doping killing bodybuilding? I think that's very simple. Bodybuilding is not a sport. Sure, it has competitions and "pro" bodybuilders, but the vast majority of people do it because they want to look a certain way and don't care if it's done through artificial means. It's just another form of body-modding - like someone having hundreds of piercings or tattoos.
  • Many 'natural' bodybuilders take drugs at the high level end of the 'sport'. They just make sure they don't get caught like many other athletes that require muscle, strength or explosive power.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Body-building is explicitly linked to your appearance and body self confidence etc. I'd imagine it's that that attracts the punters.

Cycling's just a sport that happens to have a prolific drug problem.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • dennisn
    teagar wrote:
    Body-building is explicitly linked to your appearance and body self confidence etc. I'd imagine it's that that attracts the punters.

Still, I've warned more than a few old and new racers to NOT watch their legs while racing(or anytime for that matter). Everyone has done it. Gee, look at those muscles.
    Some people get really wrapped up in it. So there is a bit of vanity in cycling. Not to mention all the fancy jerseys, expensive shoes, carbon parts, etc., etc.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    dennisn wrote:
    teagar wrote:

Still, I've warned more than a few old and new racers to NOT watch their legs while racing(or anytime for that matter). Everyone has done it. Gee, look at those muscles.
    Some people get really wrapped up in it. So there is a bit of vanity in cycling. Not to mention all the fancy jerseys, expensive shoes, carbon parts, etc., etc.

True.

Doubt the average punter would equate cycling to making them more attractive in the way body building does though.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • afx237vi
    ^ Shoulda put "attractive" in quotation marks. Bodybuilders make me feel queasy.
  • dennisn
    afx237vi wrote:
    ^ Shoulda put "attractive" in quotation marks. Bodybuilders make me feel queasy.

They're alright. In the end they turn out to be pretty normal people, like you and I, except for having much bigger biceps.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    teagar wrote:
    True.

Doubt the average punter would equate cycling to making them more attractive in the way body building does though.

That's why I do tri. I'm vain enough to want some musculature above the waist.
  • afx237vi
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

They're alright. In the end they turn out to be pretty normal people, like you and I, except for having much bigger biceps.

Oh, no doubt. I have no problem with what they do, or them as people, I just find it ironic that an activity that is so linked with vanity and body-image leaves people looking like this:

http://www.photographerbrisbane.com.au/ ... lding.html

...which is not attractive to anyone else apart from other bodybuilders.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Thanks afx, you've put me off my lunch!

Bodybuilding is a fairly unique activity, often the purpose is not to be strong but simply to have prominent large muscles. Look into the sport and you'll find eating disorders and other mental problems and that's before the physical abuse from doping. There's every argument to ensure this "sport" clears up its act although remember it's pretty much a niche activity amongst a tiny few, it's not attracting millions of fans.

For a laugh, read this: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1018 ... -officials
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    There's every argument to ensure this "sport" clears up its act although remember it's pretty much a niche activity amongst a tiny few, it's not attracting millions of fans.

I'm not convinced it's a niche thing. Plenty of people in gyms these days pumping a bit of iron. Maybe not on the level of a Dorian Yates or Arnold but still looking to get a better looking body. Sort of like you and I. Not riding anywhere near the level of a Lance or AC
    but out there giving it h*ll nonetheless.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Maybe lots are pumping iron but they're not competing in sanctioned competitions under WADA rules.
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    Maybe lots are pumping iron but they're not competing in sanctioned competitions under WADA rules.

I could say the same about cycling. Lots of people riding but most are not competing.
    I see all manner and number of people riding but our local club races only draw, at best,
    40 or 50. And the more regional events draw maybe 200. None of these races are under WADA.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:

Oh, no doubt. I have no problem with what they do, or them as people, I just find it ironic that an activity that is so linked with vanity and body-image leaves people looking like this:

http://www.photographerbrisbane.com.au/ ... lding.html

...which is not attractive to anyone else apart from other bodybuilders.

To be fair to them, they only look like that in competition. They dehydrate themselves to dangerous levels and then roll around in a vat of fake than.

They're still freaks mind.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Seeing as Arnie's been mentioned....

A Hollywood director was making a film about classical music, but didn't have any actors, so he put an advert in the Hollywood newspaper saying "Wanted: Actors to play the great composers" The next day Tom Cruise rang up, and said "I'll be Mozart".

"Great," said the director, "I've got my Mozart."

The next day Mel Gibson rang up and said "I'll be Beethoven."

"Great," said the director, "I've got my Beethoven."

The next day Arnold Schwarzenegger rings up and says "I'll be Bach"
    :cry:
  • dennisn
    johnfinch wrote:
    Seeing as Arnie's been mentioned....

A Hollywood director was making a film about classical music, but didn't have any actors, so he put an advert in the Hollywood newspaper saying "Wanted: Actors to play the great composers" The next day Tom Cruise rang up, and said "I'll be Mozart".

"Great," said the director, "I've got my Mozart."

The next day Mel Gibson rang up and said "I'll be Beethoven."

"Great," said the director, "I've got my Beethoven."

The next day Arnold Schwarzenegger rings up and says "I'll be Bach"
    :cry:

Like we say here in the States "Don't give up your day job to play comedy clubs". :wink:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    dennisn wrote:
    Like we say here in the States "Don't give up your day job to play comedy clubs". :wink:

C'mon, that's a classic!