Why is my willy numb?

rmj555
rmj555 Posts: 91
edited August 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Just got back from a 3 hour ride on bridles paths and its numb. :shock: Anybody know why? I assume its pressure on the nerves.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Indeed it could be. The pudendal artery and nerve I believe. Certain saddles can relieve pressure on this area.

I won't suggest a massage ;-)
  • rmj555
    So do you ever get it supersonic? I have a trek seat which is convex and that is the problem it seems. Everbody raves about charge spoons so i will get one. It seems ok now after an hour and a hot bath. Thanks :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I recently suffered this for the first time, after doing a long, smooth ride. It got me quite freaked out, to say the least, but it came back to normal after about a minute off the bike, even started getting pins and needles in places I've never had them before, which, to be honest, was not an entirely unpleasant experience :lol:
    Anyway... What seemed to cause it in my case was the seat being tilted too far back.
    I tend to stand on the pedals most of the time off road, and keep my saddle fairly low and out of the way. When my saddle is that low, it needs to be angled slightly nose-up to be comfortable.
    When I raised the saddle for the long ride however, it made my riding position lean forward more - and because the nose of the saddle was angled slightly too far upwards, it was causing pressure on my bits.

Quick tweak with an allen key, and lowering the nose of the saddle, and all was fine again.

So, you should try that before spending eny money, to be honest.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    edited August 2009
    You need to find a saddle that works well with your sit bones, i used to rave about the charge spoon but i find it numbs me worse than ever so im currently using a wtb silverado or for longer rides my sofa saddle that is a bel air rl as they both have grooves.

Try tilting your nose downwards a little bit, that often relieves the pressure.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • rmj555
    Thanks guys. I will try that because i like long smoothish rides. Its pretty flat round here but there are plenty of tracks.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Padded shorts can also help with numb nob syndrome. I find the only relief is to stand on the pedals at regular intervals and let some blood flow.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mikey0303
    mikey0303 Posts: 134
    I had the same a week or two ago and I was wearing padded shorts

Ive got a Trek as well ...................hmmm
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    stubs wrote:
    Padded shorts can also help with numb nob syndrome. I find the only relief is to stand on the pedals at regular intervals and let some blood flow.
    Not convinced. The only time I've ever had this happen was when I was wearing my padded shorts.
  • Just hang about for a lass to ride past and stare at her ass as she goes by... that'll get the blood flowing again :lol:
  • rmj555
    This might be the answer to my problem. Not fooking cheap though :evil:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23426
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Or you could try this one, it has a good rep.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... nium-12237
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X