Cheshire Riders - Please recommend me a good route

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
I usually go riding south-east of Manchester - towards the peaks and Derbyshire. Alderley Edge, Macc, Buxton and towards Bakewell. Pretty much all my rides are hilly.

I want to go on a flatish ride for once - probably about 100 miles and i've been told to check out the area between Holmes Chapel, Nantwich, Chester and Warrington for this sort of landscape.

Can anyone recommend a good route round these parts? Preferably starting from Hale or Knutsford...

Last time I went round there, I seemed to get lost and ended up on some kind of 15-lane-wide dual carriageway, with no turn-off until Dunham/Bowdon, about 6 miles away. :shock: :lol: A556 I think.

I checked out some of the routes on here and bikehike, but it's hard to tell which of them are good/bad, as most tend to stray onto busy roads. I'm looking for small country lanes ideally.

Cheers.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    I think the A 556 was named the busiest A road in Britain...

Why don't you check out the route of the Maqnchester 100 charity ride? Should be somewhere on the web
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bhima
    Why don't you check out the route of the Maqnchester 100 charity ride? Should be somewhere on the web

Good idea, didn't think about that.

Found it here for anyone else who may be interested: www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=10186
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    For you, I'd recommend the M6, M60 for recovery rides.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    bhima , do you want to swap houses ? i live in northwich , so it,s an hours ride to any decent hills . i,ve got so bored with riding flat roads i,ve taken to putting my bike in the car and driving towards macc to avoid them . hopefully off to the cat + fiddle on wednesday . :D
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    one tip for riding around pan flat cheshire is to use jodrell band as a refference point . ride in a big circle around it , always keeping it on your left(or right)and just take any back lane that takes you roughly in the right direction. who knows where you might and up . or buy a GPS. :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I live in Holmes Chapel, I know many, many flat routes...
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Knutsford - Great Budworth - Acton Bridge - Delamere - Tattenhall - Farndon - BangorOnDee - Ruabon - Llangollen - BangorOnDee - Malpas - Beeston - OultonPark - Peover - Knutsford

should be about your magic 100 and largely flattish.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Knutsford - Great Budworth - Acton Bridge - Delamere - Tattenhall - Farndon - BangorOnDee - Ruabon - Llangollen - BangorOnDee - Malpas - Beeston - OultonPark - Peover - Knutsford

Loads of hills and Druggies around Ruabon way
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bhima
    andy_wrx wrote:

Loads of hills and Druggies around Ruabon way

Fantastic, not too bothered about a few hills, but i'll look out for the druggies. :lol:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I live in Holmes Chapel, I know many, many flat routes...

Wow, this post was so promising. I thought it was going somewhere for a second. :|

You could just sit there bragging about it, or you could maybe sort us a route out. :roll:

:lol: