Nutrition during 10 hour xc mtb race

battykat
battykat Posts: 9
edited August 2009 in Health, fitness & training
I have taken part in two 10 hour mtb races recently (approx. 10 mile laps). I did one as half of a pair, and the other as a solo. i have another solo one coming up very soon. I am quite happy with my normal diet and nutrition in the lead up to a race (carbo loading during week before, electrolyte drink before start and protein shake a couple of hours before race), however i'm not sure if i'm getting it right during the race.

During the 10 hour race as part of a pair (every 2nd lap), i suffered form cramp during the 2nd and 3rd laps, so i upped my salt intake during the next race (solo) by drinking High5 4:1 energy source, eating Clif Shot Blocks (2 per lap) and also drinking plain water. I had major problems with energy lavels during the later part of the race, and still a small amount of cramping.

Is there something more i could be taking during the race? What amounts of fluids/foods should i be taking on?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Katrina :)

Comments

• rmj555
    rmj555 Posts: 91
    Hi, read somewhere that bananas are good for cramp and energy. Hope this helps :wink:
  • I'm no expert but I'll throw in my tuppence worth...
    I'm doing the 10more this sat,did it last year solo,and suffered with cramp after about 4 laps tho reckoned it was lack of training/endurance that caused it.Imo you need to be eating/drinking continously,little and often,I prefer "normal" foods,anything oat or rice based...flapjacks etc...bananas are a given,plenty of....also choccy works for me,rocket fuel!! As for drink,plain water wouldn't suit me,prefer some flavour,"body fuel" or similar....or try "dioralyte"if you can stand the stuff,very effective.
    Also,it's all about pacing if you're going solo,perhaps you started off too fast....tricky to advise cos its a personal thing!!
  • Don't forget also to replace electrolytes as you'll be losing these as you sweat and while rehydrating yourself is obviously important without electrolytes your performance will start to decline and you'll expeirence side effects such as muscle cramp.

You can look for energy drinks that contain electrolytes and the majority now do so but the most effect way is to buy Himalayan Salt and add 1/4 teaspoon per 2 litres of water or liquid. If you want to make a cheap isotonic style drink then mix 1/2 and 1/2 fruit juice and water and then add in the Himalayan Salts.

I do this all the time now daily to all my water and I've not suffered from cramp since and I used to suffer a fair bit.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX