My Dahon Jack

Patorikku285
Patorikku285 Posts: 8
edited August 2009 in The workshop
I thought I'd be a clever sod, buy a folding bike but not a little 'un...

I do a bike / train / bike commute, roads are a bit unkempt, so I thought a Dahon Jack would tick all the boxes :wink: and make my ride to work easy...

WRONG !!!

Trouble is, the hinge is on the verge of seizing up. It's VERY stiff. I'm having to use my foot to kick the hinge open and fold it up when I get on the train... as for unfolding at the other end, I'm having to stand on the back wheel, pull up the front wheel halfway, then stand inbetween the two halves to wrench it open 6/8 of the way, then kick down on the hinge to finish the job.

So much for five second unfolding! Now, I don't want to take the bike apart by myself, unless anyone can come up with a method of doing so. Should I take it back to Evans and get them to do it? Or has anyone got any advice for me?

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I thought I'd be a clever sod, buy a folding bike but not a little 'un...

I do a bike / train / bike commute, roads are a bit unkempt, so I thought a Dahon Jack would tick all the boxes :wink: and make my ride to work easy...

WRONG !!!

Trouble is, the hinge is on the verge of seizing up. It's VERY stiff. I'm having to use my foot to kick the hinge open and fold it up when I get on the train... as for unfolding at the other end, I'm having to stand on the back wheel, pull up the front wheel halfway, then stand inbetween the two halves to wrench it open 6/8 of the way, then kick down on the hinge to finish the job.

So much for five second unfolding! Now, I don't want to take the bike apart by myself, unless anyone can come up with a method of doing so. Should I take it back to Evans and get them to do it? Or has anyone got any advice for me?

Assuming you're under warranty, any decent bike shop, Dahon dealer or not, should be able to sort it. My LBS aren't a dealer, but they look after mine well enough...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • smegurmum
    smegurmum Posts: 181
    take it back, ive seen a fair few dahon jacks have this problem and they guys at evans should be able to sort you out
    Genesis Altitude
    BMC Team Machine
  • Took the bike back to Evans yesterday, they tried loosening the hinge with cutting oil but without success, so I have today been offered a replacement model :o:D

Thanks for the advice