A Few Questions...

Noizetek
Noizetek Posts: 98
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Ok so a few questions to ask, having been doing the mountain biking lark for over 6 months now and hammering the local trails (I live in the Peak so the options are endless) there are a few technical and physical elements that I need to address. First off is just a niggly thing, I decided to upgrade to the Marzocchi Mx Pro Lo forks, choosing the 120mm option as I found that I felt I was half over the bars already so upping the front end a tad would be better, I find now the riding position is a lot better and a big confidence booster...the problem is that the more I read the more and more I hear that putting longer travel forks on a frame that is not designed to take them is not the best thing in the world to do, any thoughts?

Secondly, technical uphill climbs! Any tips, links to tips from you guys? Last but not least I have entered myself into my first event which is the British Heart Foundations Dark Peak Challenge in October, so I am in training for that...after that is out of the way I will be looking to enter some XC races if possible, but I am wondering if the bike/kit that I have is actually up to racing?? At the moment I have a Kona Blast Deluxe with Raceface Atlas bar and stem upgrade, Marzocchi MX Pro Lo forks, Sunringle rims and DT Swiss spokes with a good old Shimano hub for the wheels....

A lot of questions there, also be handy as well if anyone knows of any local clubs in the peak that would be good to join?? Ta for now!

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    You've just found out the main disadvantage of raising the forks travel from the specified 100mm to 120mm, yes it raises the front end and it'll be better for going down hill and going over bigger hits but you'll lose out when it comes to climbing steep hills and the steering will be less precise. It's just a trade off that's all.

If the fork has adjustable travel then adjust it down to 100mm for climbing and put it back up up when you need it for downhill and hits.

Ideally what you should have done is bought a frame with a longer top tube in the first place. Or tried a laid back seat post. Or a longer stem. Any of those would have stopped that "lurching forward" feeling.

I wouldn't bother changing the bike yet because you'll know exactly the point you've out grown it instinctively. Get the charity event and a few races under your belt first, you'll have a lot clearer idea about things after that.