TOB

k2rider
k2rider Posts: 575
edited August 2009 in Pro race
what do people think of the route, ive got my opinions of my local stage but i would like to hear other peoples opinions before i vent my spleen about the durham stage.
who cares?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I know they have a hell of a hard time getting any type of racing sorted.

Whats your point ?
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    I think its great fun to have a race like this here.

No its no the tour but it is very interesting non the less. I njote the scorn poured on some of the tdf stages and formatt this year so in some ways this threads bound to go the sames way.

People need to get out and experience it and stop whinging.
  • Stage 4 has just been anounced and looks good a proper hill up to the Cross o Greet and right on my doorstep. :D
    positivley 4th street
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    No Stage in Wales which I think is poor considering its the ToB. Although they blame local councils....I think its time for a ToW.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    The Tour of Britain is funded by local councils stumping up cash. Don't like the fact there are no Welsh stages? Complain to the Welsh local councils.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    guv001 wrote:
    No Stage in Wales which I think is poor considering its the ToB. Although they blame local councils....I think its time for a ToW.

They don't come to Wales (since the 1st edition) as the Assembly won't sponsor it, unlike the English RDAs that do have stages. All the money was blown on the Ryder Cup...

Strava is not Zen.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dont forget that we had the Mersey Roads 2 day abandoned this season. Maybe the police arent very welcoming of cyclists at the moment in Wales.

But yeah - really they go where the sponsors are. If Wales isnt stumping the money up - they wont get the Tour. Sad but true.

Whos televising it this year ? I enjoyed the coverage last time.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The South West stages will be the best bits again. Although I think they could make better use of hills available, perhaps a hill-top finish to get some time gaps. Somerset have spent a lot on encoraging the tour there for the last 3 years.

Is there any ToB etape this year for the region to recoup some investment throgh local busines in the shoulder season?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    phil s wrote:
    The Tour of Britain is funded by local councils stumping up cash. Don't like the fact there are no Welsh stages? Complain to the Welsh local councils.

Yea that true seems only Dumfries and Galloway and possibly Glasgow ? are prepared to stump up cash in Scotland. Id love to see a stage further North . Fort William to Glasgow or something like that.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Stage 4 has just been anounced and looks good a proper hill up to the Cross o Greet and right on my doorstep. :D

This stage looks more like it. There could be some real time gaps over Tatham Fell and Cross of Greet. Here's hoping for a clear day, I've already arranged a day off to be there!
  • Long time no see Nick maybe Ill see you up at Cross o Greet .
    Of course it wont be like they are cycling over in a blizzard will it. :wink:
    positivley 4th street
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Long time no see Nick maybe Ill see you up at Cross o Greet .
    Of course it wont be like they are cycling over in a blizzard will it. :wink:

That would be great. I'll be cycling in from Kendal with my mate Simon. Cross of Greet would seem to be the best spot (unless there is a blizzard or fog!).
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Yea that true seems only Dumfries and Galloway and possibly Glasgow ? are prepared to stump up cash in Scotland. Id love to see a stage further North . Fort William to Glasgow or something like that.

This year it looks like Scottish Borders Council + D&G