650 or 700 wheels

phelim1
phelim1 Posts: 53
edited September 2009 in Amateur race
my current tt bike has 650 wheels due to frame size, would i go faster with 700wheels due to bigger wheel revolutions. this is something i have been thinking about.

thanks

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    No you wouldn't go faster. It's still all about power and aerodynamics, wheel size isn't an issue.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • so why do pro road riders you 700c wheels, sualy they could build lighter wheels using 650's...mmmhmmm

so yeah you'll roll alot faster with 700 wheels...
  • redddraggon
    bikeboy123 wrote:
    so why do pro road riders you 700c wheels, sualy they could build lighter wheels using 650's...mmmhmmm

so yeah you'll roll alot faster with 700 wheels...

hmm....perhaps start answering questions once you're able to give a sensible reply? What you just said was BS.

some Pro women do use 650c in TTs. A huge majority will use 700c in RRing due to spare wheel availability, rather than any fantasy belief of increase speed.

(Actually 650c are faster negligibly, but 700c will smooth the bumps out better)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • lmao, thats utter bullsshit

women use them because they are smaller most of the times, so need a 650 size bike
  • redddraggon
    bikeboy123 wrote:
    women use them because they are smaller most of the times, so need a 650 size bike

Obviously.

But where do you get your bullshit about 700c being faster?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • a bigger wheel is obviously guna roll faster, you go on a kids tiny wheeled bike and then a proper sized bike, with the same power in your legs your not going to go faster on the small wheeled kids bike

and, to get the same distance per crank rev you have to push a biger gear
  • redddraggon
    From your Pseudo-science, I guess you're no scientist.
    bikeboy123 wrote:
    a bigger wheel is obviously guna roll faster, you go on a kids tiny wheeled bike and then a proper sized bike, with the same power in your legs your not going to go faster on the small wheeled kids bike

and, to get the same distance per crank rev you have to push a biger gear

facepalm.jpeg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • so what about all these olympic track teams, they dnt need to bother about spare wheels being easier to find

so if there's no differance why dont they use 650's, as this would save weight....
  • redddraggon
    bikeboy123 wrote:
    so what about all these olympic track teams, they dnt need to bother about spare wheels being easier to find

so if there's no differance why dont they use 650's, as this would save weight....

Who cares what the Pros ride anyway? They ride what the sponsors supply.

Please read the thread properly. I said there is only a minute difference between 650 and 700c, with 650c slightly coming out on top. However if you are a bigger guy/girl 700c wheels on a frame will give a better geometry, and geometry is more important.

However if you are a short arse, and a 650c frame suits you better, the smaller wheels are far from a hindrance. If you read the first post, the OP said he has a bike with 650c wheels - if the frame is already the correct size, changing to a frame with 700c wheels would probably slow the dude down as it'd be changing the geometry.

(Who cares about saving weight anyway, 6.8Kg is easily achieved these days.)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Weight isn't wildly important on a track...

700c will roll a fraction faster. 650c will be slightly more aerodynamic and slightly lighter. It really doesn't make much difference. But 700c has become the industry standard. No particular reason to it, really. There are dozens of other sizes too, like 559 (mountain bike wheels), 650b and a plethora of smaller sizes. Heck, there are mountain bikes out there with 36" wheels (though I'd imagine you'd have to be utterly massive to ride one).
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • thank you, 700 wheels do roll faster...
  • redddraggon
    bikeboy123 wrote:
    thank you, 700 wheels do roll faster...

Peer reviewed study please.....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/tech/GS.htm

It's not peer reviewed, unsurprisingly (I can't imagine there's much out there on this topic that is). It's a lab test of rolling resistance of various tyres carried out be Greenspeed, an Aussie firm who make recumbent trikes.

Oh, and they found that smaller tyres roll better. Moulton found the same (though you could argue there's bias there!).

Go figure.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • redddraggon
    The difference in behaviour between 650c and 700c wheels really is negligible anyway and the choice should be made by choosing the frame with the geometry that is most suitable.

To the OP, you'll go fastest on the frame that fits you best. If that frame has 650c wheels, and somehow you haven't got enough gearing at the top end, make sure you have an 11t sprocket and whack on some bigger chainrings. Position trumps everything.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    bikeboy123 wrote:
    so what about all these olympic track teams, they dnt need to bother about spare wheels being easier to find

Track bikes don't need to be super light anyway, it's more about stiffness and aerodynamics, depending on the distance. Weight isn't the biggest issue.
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    the reason people dont use 650`s as apposed to 700`s is`nt down to rolling resistance or weight or comfort , its because you cant get decent racing tyres for them.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly