Tyres for Merida Marathon Ruthin?

Dirtydog11
Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
edited September 2009 in XC and Enduro
Hi all ,

I'm taking part in the 50k ruthin Merida in September and was hoping someone who has done it might be able to recommend some suitable tyres for the event.

Comments

• gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    hello mate, ill probably be using continental speedkings cause their light, pretty grippy in most conditions and roll very well. a lot of people use schwalbe nobby nics and racing ralphs which are rated by lots of riders, so definatly worth a look (they usually have a trade stand at each event so if the worst came to the worst you could get them that weekend, although i don't know how much they are there.
    hope this helps
    gaz
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • Dirtydog11
    Cheers Gaz,

Great minds think alike.......I did a bit of surfing last night and decided the Speed Kings would probably be the best option.

I figured as its being held in September then there's a good chance its going to be wet which ruled out dry summer tyres.

I suspect that in the event of rain the Speed Kings would be the best option as I understand they shed mud quite well.

I also had a look at the Nobby Nics and Racing Ralphs but decided to get a pair of Speed King 2.3 Supersonics from Ribble Cycles, £47.00 (pair delivered).

I couldn't say no at that price.
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    Maxxis CrossMark's would be my choice as I've just moved over from my side wall splitting Racing Ralphs, but I'm not doing it as it's the Isle of Man End2End the week before.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i am contenplating doing this race, what is the trail like, are there many good descents?
    i just done Brechfa enduro as a 1st race and really enjoyed it, its left a hunger and a taste for more. i am thinking either this one or the Brecon Beast enduro
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Will be doing this on my 2.35" Blue groooves :p

Though the trial at Llanwyrted was mostly fire track so could be roasted, I enjoyed the grip of my big tyres there though as it was dripping and the 'single track' laid out had 0 drainage so was a pure Bog. here I laughed watching people falling on there skinny tyres :p

Its all a matter of opinion and riding style.
  • Dirtydog11
    rhyko7 wrote:
    i am contenplating doing this race, what is the trail like, are there many good descents?
    i just done Brechfa enduro as a 1st race and really enjoyed it, its left a hunger and a taste for more. i am thinking either this one or the Brecon Beast enduro

Could someone give us a breakdown of the trail surface. Singletrack, fireroad, soft, hard anyone know?
  • Denua
    Denua Posts: 29
    i asked this exact same question as i am going for this. My choice was speed kings but i was warned they are prone to punctures

I dont have the tyres so i cant back this up im afraid...see you there
  • Denua
    i asked this exact same question as i am going for this. My choice was speed kings but i was warned they are prone to punctures

• Dirtydog11
    Denua wrote:

I can...................................................... I tried mine the other day (supersonics). I can confirm they're very very fast, they're an eye opener when compared to highroller 2.35s. I can also confirm they are prone to puncture although I'm gonna be running latex filled tubes for the Marathon.

I asked the same question on the MBNW site and I have been reliably informed that the course will be a mix of Tarmac, (climb out of Ruthin to Loggerheads) singletrack, bridleway and fireroad. Mud is a distinct possibility.
  • garetjax
    garetjax Posts: 175
    Panaracer fire xc. Good for anything - wet or dry.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Normally the trails used are largely Fire track with a few k of single track. the road is often sued to get you from site and back to it, so a faster rolling tyre would be easier. but the trails used normally have 0 drainage so if ti rains its not so much mud as in bog 6" to a foot deep so unridable.
  • I'm riding Nobby Nics and Racing Ralphs - hoping that its a dry weekend! :lol:
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • Dirtydog11
    hoping that its a dry weekend! :lol:

:lol:
  • +paul
    +paul Posts: 60
    I have also entered the 50km event together with a couple of friends. Does anyone know the actual route, or at least the main climbs? I live in Mold, and hope to get over to try the worst climbs before the day!

Since this thread is about tyres (sorry for the diversion), I will be using the Jones XR tyres which came as standard on my Trek. Suitable choice or not?
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    Normally the trails used are largely Fire track with a few k of single track. the road is often sued to get you from site and back to it, so a faster rolling tyre would be easier. but the trails used normally have 0 drainage so if ti rains its not so much mud as in bog 6" to a foot deep so unridable.

are you going up the day before or in the morning?
    how long is the drive from newport?
    im thinking about it but bit skint.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Dirtydog11
    +paul wrote:
    I have also entered the 50km event together with a couple of friends. Does anyone know the actual route, or at least the main climbs? I live in Mold, and hope to get over to try the worst climbs before the day!

Since this thread is about tyres (sorry for the diversion), I will be using the Jones XR tyres which came as standard on my Trek. Suitable choice or not?

I don't know the exact route but I suspect the route will take in some of the existing Clwydian routes like loop de loop and almost the delyn.

http://www.ridetheclwyds.com/rideclwyds ... ll&x=6&y=7

Have you seen the route profiles?

Your straight into a 350 meter climb although I've been reliably informed that last year the route was road from Ruthin up to Moel Famau carpark.

http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/events/20 ... ruthin.pdf
  • +paul
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    +paul wrote:

I don't know the exact route but I suspect the route will take in some of the existing Clwydian routes like loop de loop and almost the delyn.

http://www.ridetheclwyds.com/rideclwyds ... ll&x=6&y=7

Have you seen the route profiles?

Your straight into a 350 meter climb although I've been reliably informed that last year the route was road from Ruthin up to Moel Famau carpark.

http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/events/20 ... ruthin.pdf

I have seen the profiles, and they look pretty scary! At least if the first climb is on the road, it will give it an easier start. I' ll have a look at the routes on the ridethe clwyds website - thanks for the link.
  • Since this thread is about tyres (sorry for the diversion), I will be using the Jones XR tyres which came as standard on my Trek. Suitable choice or not?
    Am stuck in the same quandry myself. The tubeless kit should be arriving today so may get more grip in sketchy conditions from the front that way. Not good in mud though and last year it was muddy in places, properly muddy.
    Only worth changing the front though, rear is fairly steady plugging up wet hills and I don't remember there being too many slippy climbs.
  • +paul
    Am stuck in the same quandry myself. The tubeless kit should be arriving today so may get more grip in sketchy conditions from the front that way. Not good in mud though and last year it was muddy in places, properly muddy.
    Only worth changing the front though, rear is fairly steady plugging up wet hills and I don't remember there being too many slippy climbs.

I have used the XR types around Llandegla all year without problem (wet or dry), and never felt tempted to try anything else. I am running them with tubes as well - I will have to give tubeless a bit more consideration perhaps! I am definitely no racing snake, and will be found somewhere near or at the back, hopefully still smiling. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the athletes doing the longer courses get back before me :D
  • rhyko7 wrote:

are you going up the day before or in the morning?
    how long is the drive from newport?
    im thinking about it but bit skint.

Depending on weather head up on friday, enjoy the atmosphere, get a bit merry sat night adn ride hung over sunday for fun, its about 3.5-4hours drive up there.
  • DTM12
    DTM12 Posts: 163
    I live locally to those routes and ride them often. We rode quite bit of them last Sunday in prep for the 100k Merida there. At the moment the routes are really dry, as there hasnt really been any rain for a good while. And I dont believe there is much rain forecast for the next few days. Therefore any fast rolling tyre will be fine IMHO. I rode Conti Race kings on Sunday and they were fine, its what I will be riding on Sunday on, my mate ran on Maxxis monorail and was equally happy.
    Hope you enjoy it. If its a road climb from Ruthin to Moel Famau car park it'll likely be on the Bwlch Penbarras (known locally as the "old bwlch") yes its a stiff old road climb for sure, steep to start maybe 18-22%, then ramping up for a harpin section to over 30% for a hundred yards maximum, then gets more manageable straight after that for about a mile at about 12%.
  • Denua
    see you all this weekend
  • Dirtydog11
    Denua wrote:
    see you all this weekend

Yeah see you there. I'll be on my Maxlight XC running Speed King Supersonics (see sig). If you see me give me a nod.

Looking forward to it now. I can't believe its going to be dry. 8)

DTM12 wrote:
    I live locally to those routes and ride them often. We rode quite bit of them last Sunday in prep for the 100k Merida there. At the moment the routes are really dry, as there hasnt really been any rain for a good while. And I dont believe there is much rain forecast for the next few days. Therefore any fast rolling tyre will be fine IMHO. I rode Conti Race kings on Sunday and they were fine, its what I will be riding on Sunday on, my mate ran on Maxxis monorail and was equally happy.

Cheers for that. That is good news!
  • Denua
    i will be so happy if its dry!

im starting to look forward to it now
  • I'm doing the 100 km and went along to register today as I only live about 15 minutes away. I found this on another website, very useful for looking at the route http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ru ... da-100k-08