I ride an apollo...

nmcc69
nmcc69 Posts: 4
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
I've recently taken a more serious interest in mountain biking and want a better full suss bike, so basically anything is a step up for me. I set a price of 750 but after reading around realised this is considred 'cheap' in proper bike terms. What do you actually get for spending any more than this?
Anyway, I'm looking for a nice XC bike which will also make me grin on bits of rocky downhill now and then but nothing too serious. Any recommendations for under £1000?
Thanks,
Steven

Comments

• Without trying to sound like a broken record on here, you'll get a very nice spec hardtail bike for your budget.

Do you feel you NEED a full suspension bike?
  • abductee
    abductee Posts: 189
    I have just got a GT idrive 5 XCR and I am liking it.
    These are also highly rated
    Giant trance x5
    Boardman team FS
    Specialized FSR XC comp

If you spend any less I think you will either regret it or end up forking out for upgrades. Try and spend a bit more if you can.
  • What about buying 2nd hand?

Not that I'm suggesting a 2nd hand full-bounce for any specific reason of course

Ahem :oops: :wink:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    abductee wrote:
    Giant trance x5
    Boardman team FS
    Specialized FSR XC comp.
    Yep, all fine bikes.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    Second hand is probably the way to go.

For £750 you could pick up something pretty good.

Not wanting to sound like a pimp but I have a GT I-Drive ID5 XCR which I've had for about 5 months and was planning on selling due to me replacing it with something else recently.

If you were interested I could do you a good deal on it.

Was reviewed here: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... r-09-34201
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • fourcrossjohn
    fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
    carrera banshee x from halfords, wat i got :)
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    I shouldn't worry too much about what you ride, I've known loads of riders on full carbon XC full sussers (£2000+) who can't ride for toffee!

Good technique is a good start, and if you want to go faster, pedal harder! :wink:

Bike wise, there'll be others far more qualified on this forum to assist you, but something like a Specialized Rockhopper or similar may be ideal, rather than a more dedicated, XC racer type bike.
  • nmcc69
    thanks guys, im torn between the specialized fs xc and the boardman comp atm.
  • I would strongly reccomend the Cube LTD series- you can get a good deal on chain reaction (2009 models). I have the race and its much easier to ride fast and comfortably than a specialized rockhopper- go for it if you can!!
  • nmcc69
    what do the boardman comp fs and the spesh fsr xc do best? i really cant decide between them. are they both about similar? i feel like i might as well go on looks atm.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    If you want full suss I cannot reccomend the Boardman series (can be purchased from Halfords). Check them out for your self, you won't find a single magazine article that has anything bad to say. Basically in terms of bangs for bucks you really cannot do better.

You can pick up a Boardman Comp FS for 800 quid and it has top end components (ritchey,Rock Shox recon, SRAM X9 etc), It has also won 3 separate what mountain bike awards.

PS. In case you think I am biased I am not some kind of rep for boardman bikes, I have just ridden one and think they are ace.
  • Look at the Be-One Nirvana 3.0 £699 from Chain Reaction, that's what I got. Done me good so far, have upgraded a few bits but very happy with it!
  • Look at the Be-One Nirvana 3.0 £699 from Chain Reaction, that's what I got. Done me good so far, have upgraded a few bits but very happy with it!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mr_eddy wrote:
    If you want full suss I cannot reccomend the Boardman series (can be purchased from Halfords).

Why, what's wrong with them?

(I love silly typos that change the meaning to it's polar opposite :lol: )
  • stanfree
    stanfree Posts: 58
    Ive just bought a gt Aggressor from halfords for £750 which I feel was really good value and seems much better than my old bog standard Hard rock . Also check out Edinburgh Bike Cooperatives Revolution Triad 2 which is excellant value. http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c002909
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    sam hagger wrote:
    I shouldn't worry too much about what you ride, I've known loads of riders on full carbon XC full sussers (£2000+) who can't ride for toffee!

Good technique is a good start, and if you want to go faster, pedal harder! :wink:

Hoorah...... someone talking sense :D

Go for a mid range hardtail and just ride. You'll soon pick up tecnique, a lot faster than you would on a full suss. Don't worry if your mates seem faster through the rocks, you'll still get a huge grin on a hardtail, it won't be long before you're riding as fast as them. Then...... upgrade to a full sus at a later date and you'll leave your mates standing !!

Enjoy........ M
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    You will get some great full suss's for 1000.00

focus
    giant
    boardman
    gt i drives.

They are all great.

I got a focus super bud 2008 full fox and xt and lx for 995.00 from wiggle, they dont sell anymore though.
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    £750 will get you a very good hardtail but if you want to go full-sus then either wait until the end of the year and pick up a deal when the shops are clearing all of their 2009 stock to make room for the new 2010 bikes or get one second-hand, have a lookon e-bay, the classifieds on this site and the buysell section on pinkbike.

If you buy second-hand be sure to go and look at the bike before buying it and take someone along who knows alot about mountainbikes and is good with mechanics

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008