coelecanth
coelecanth Posts: 15
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Bribery, corruption, fraud

Alleged here

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Sadly this isn't new. One Spanish University contacted several teams a last year offering screening services. The aim was to detect EPO and other banned substances but not with the aim of busting the riders, instead it would warm team managers and riders and so help them to adjust the dosages so they could fly under the radar. As soon as the Gerolsteiner boss Holczer got this email, he forwarded it on to the UCI and publicised the dodgy deal on offer.

The fear is that several others have been using similar methods to avoid being caught.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Um...you know that cops are frequently bribed as well, right?
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    donrhummy wrote:

LOL. +1. Probably more often than most.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:

LOL. +1. Probably more often than most.

how do you think NapD can afford all his bikes and hifi stuff :wink::lol:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    One Spanish University contacted several teams a last year offering screening services. The aim was to detect EPO and other banned substances but not with the aim of busting the riders, instead it would warm team managers and riders and so help them to adjust the dosages so they could fly under the radar.

Source?
  • Kléber
    Prato Nevoso, Italy - Moises Duenas and Leonardo Piepoli have reportedly admitted to doping amid allegations from a German television network that a Spanish lab had offered Tour de France teams assistance in doping practices.

ARD television reported on Saturday night that the university of Caceres (Universidad de Extremadura) offered checkups for riders which would allow them to be clean when tested.

But a member of the university swiftly denied any wrongdoing on Sunday, saying the offer was made to help teams find cheaters.

Gerolsteiner team boss Hans-Michael Holczer said that he received an according email which reportedly also went to nine other teams, including Milram, CSC and Columbia.

ARD said the lab offered 'a complete steroid profile through urine tests' and Holczer spoke of '50 euros per test and rider.'

Holczer said he forwarded the email to the World Anti-Doping Agency, with WADA general secretary David Howman quoted by ARD as saying 'The alleged practices described by you are alarming.'

French anti-doping agency (AFLD) chief Pierre Bordry agreed, telling ARD that 'it is alarming if that is true.'

The news came as no surprise to Hans Geyer from a Cologne-based centre for preventive doping research.

'We always assumed that there were laboratories somewhere in Europe which pre-check samples. Labs outside the control system which examine samples from athletes so that they know when to stop using doping substances in order not to be caught,' Geyer told ARD.

But Marcos Maynar Marino from the university, who sent the email, insisted in a statement that the offer was made to assist the teams to find dopers, not to support substance abuse.

'We are not supporting doping but try to prevent team-members from doing something which could destroy the team,' Maynar said.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I think police should be looking for a bit more danger and threat to society type of "criminals", than bicycle dopers.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dennisn wrote:
    I think police should be looking for a bit more danger and threat to society type of "criminals", than bicycle dopers.

Do you mean like people who steal from others?

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    dennisn wrote:
    It's actually linked to a lot of crime during the past years.

Pharmaceutical warehouses have been raided by armed gangs, the aim was not to steal things like methadone or very expensive oncology medication, it was for the EPO and growth hormones to sell illegally in Italy. There was a story from, I think, about 18 months ago where a clinic in somewhere like Romania or Hungary was raided and the entire stock of hormones was taken away, leaving some very ill patients without their essential medication. This is serious stuff and organised crime is involved, we're not talking about boosting a couple of vials from a pharmacy.

We also have pharmacists selling these products illegally, without certification or prescription, a nice little earner for them but usually illegal. When you imagine someone like Fuentes was turning over €30,000 a rider and "training" almost an entire team plus other riders, his operation was close to half a million euros a year, this is not something to ignore, you can see why the Spanish police mounted a big surveillance operation here.

Finally don't forget that doping is a crime in some places, the act of one small injection of a banned substance can see the athlete and the person injecting the product (if it's someone other than the athlete) under criminal sanction. Not behind bars but a criminal record none the less.
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Do you mean like people who steal from others?

:wink:

Sounds like a trick question, but I'll say yes. I would hope they would be spending their
    time looking for a bit more of the "scum of society" types as opposed to being on the lookout for someone who rides a bike up a hill to fast. :wink::wink:
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    there should be some international police linked to professional sporting crime, whether betting scandals in cricket, doping in athletics or bribery in football. If was to cheat to win business my company would have the book thrown at it, fail to see the difference in professional sport and
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    there should be some international police linked to professional sporting crime, whether betting scandals in cricket, doping in athletics or bribery in football. If was to cheat to win business my company would have the book thrown at it, fail to see the difference in professional sport and

Interpol? I think they do some anti-doping stuff already don't they?
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Yeah, I could go under cover in the protour!

Except I'd get dropped in the neutral zone.
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    It's actually linked to a lot of crime during the past years.

Pharmaceutical warehouses have been raided by armed gangs, the aim was not to steal things like methadone or very expensive oncology medication, it was for the EPO and growth hormones to sell illegally in Italy. There was a story from, I think, about 18 months ago where a clinic in somewhere like Romania or Hungary was raided and the entire stock of hormones was taken away, leaving some very ill patients without their essential medication. This is serious stuff and organised crime is involved, we're not talking about boosting a couple of vials from a pharmacy.

We also have pharmacists selling these products illegally, without certification or prescription, a nice little earner for them but usually illegal. When you imagine someone like Fuentes was turning over €30,000 a rider and "training" almost an entire team plus other riders, his operation was close to half a million euros a year, this is not something to ignore, you can see why the Spanish police mounted a big surveillance operation here.

Finally don't forget that doping is a crime in some places, the act of one small injection of a banned substance can see the athlete and the person injecting the product (if it's someone other than the athlete) under criminal sanction. Not behind bars but a criminal record none the less.

I agree. These things are crimes and should be looked into(stolen goods, theft, transporting across borders, etc.). I think I was trying to say that if you must have police regulating and spying into players / racers lives, then the whole sport doesn't seem worth it. If the sports governing body can't keep their own players in line then the whole thing will fail anyway.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    It should all be put in the hands of this "forum" ... all the evidence is here :lol: >>
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I agree. These things are crimes and should be looked into(stolen goods, theft, transporting across borders, etc.). I think I was trying to say that if you must have police regulating and spying into players / racers lives, then the whole sport doesn't seem worth it. If the sports governing body can't keep their own players in line then the whole thing will fail anyway.

apparently they can't. Should we all stop cycling and go home? Or maybe we should support a sport where the authorities are in control like maybe baseball, tennis, football, athletics, rugby etc...
  • dennisn

apparently they can't. Should we all stop cycling and go home? Or maybe we should support a sport where the authorities are in control like maybe baseball, tennis, football, athletics, rugby etc...

What does Pro cycling have to do with YOU and your riding? You're going to quit riding because Pro cycling has "gone down the tubes"(so to speak)? Why would you do that?
    If you like Pro racing, and it dies, well, that's how things go sometimes but, to me, it sounds like you're saying, "the pros are doping, I'm quitting riding". Doesn't make much sense to me.
  • shinyhelmut
    Don't worry dennisn I'm not likely to quit cycling, I've got far too much expensive carbon fibre in the garage!
  • dennisn
    Don't worry dennisn I'm not likely to quit cycling, I've got far too much expensive carbon fibre in the garage!

Sounds good to me. :wink::wink:
  • shinyhelmut
    edited August 2009
    And some nice steel too for when I'm feeling more traditional! :D
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Crikey! I agree with DennisN :wink:
  • dennisn
    grantus wrote:
    Crikey! I agree with DennisN :wink: