Lump in Groin !

stewartdiver
stewartdiver Posts: 21
edited August 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Since I have started cycling more intensively I have noticed I have painful lump appear in the groin between the thigh and my 'manbits' It's a hard mass te size of a pea, which makes sitting on a saddle not exactly overly comfortable (but I do it anyway!)

I never wear anything under my shorts.

would Germolene sort it out or do I need to get to the doctors to get it looked at ( I'll make sure I don't get the young blonde Dr, as whilst they are professional, my subconcious might not be :shock:

Cheers

S.

Comments

• Since I have started cycling more intensively I have noticed I have painful lump appear in the groin between the thigh and my 'manbits'

At the front or where you sit? How long have you had it?

If it's near the skin crease where your thigh & abdomen join, and it's been there for a while & isn't going down, you should go & see your GP.

Andy
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Get to your GP mate.
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    +1 to the above

It might be a saddle sore, I have a similar lump on the inside of my thigh too but better safe than sorry.
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Does sound like a saddle sore, but best to get it looked at anyway.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • If it's more to the front of the groin then could well be an inflamed lymph node usually caused by infection or by irritation which in this case could be your saddle.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Could be a hernia.

Definitely a GP job.
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    supersonic wrote:
    Could be a hernia.

Definitely a GP job.

Sounds like that to me as well. Get to the docs.
  • Hernia would generally be higher up, not in the groin.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Had a hernia in exactly the same place. Went to see the Doctor who had a young female trainee with him - he asked if i minded :oops: . Got it sorted within a week of seeing the Doctor.

If you hold it and cough it may move, in which case most probably a hernia.

However get to the doctor as soon as if not just to stop you worrying - I avoided going for about 6 months (not a good idea!)
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • Yeah inguinal hernia would be higher up guys even though you may well get painrefferred into the area described you wouldn't expect that palpable mass. A sebacious cyst or a folliculits (where hair gets pulled out of its folicle and gets infected)
    Hopefully by nowyouv'e been to doc and a topical cream with antibiotic and steroid should help
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Might also be something as simple as a blocked sweat gland.
    But still, worth going to see the GP on this one just in case.
  • Well that's a relief!

I went to the GP and after a couple of minutes of prodding, he informed me that it was probably an inflamed hair folicle and that I should wear loose clothing and that i could try something like Germolene. He said that at the moment he didn't want to try antibiotics and that it things didn't improve then they might be able to pop it.

I did 120km on Sat and used germolene all the way around (applying it a few times) and wore loose clothing and it has gone down, but is still there, but this will come with time.

I know that for an experienced cyclist these are probably common, but for a newbie and because of it's location it was a bit frightening.

Thanks for all your feedback guys, it saved me a weekend of worying by getting me to the doctors sooner.

Cheers

Stewart
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did 120km on Sat and used germolene all the way around
    Are you saying that the whole time you were riding, you were rubbing germolene into your groin?
    must have got some funny looks :lol: