France trip - advice please

Little Sue
Little Sue Posts: 4
edited April 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm heading to France for a couple of weeks in early September, driving from Calais to the Vercor, combining both road cycling and mountain biking. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to stop for a couple of days on for the way down and on the way back that are a good central spot for some good road rides and / or mountain bike routes. Doesn't have to be directly en-route, but roughly in line of heading from Calais to Grenoble.

Also any advice / suggestions / comments on bike-friendly campsites, circular road routes, places to eat, weather etc etc most welcome :) Or any pointers for useful webistes to find further information?

Cheers

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Hi Sue

A friend of mine used to work on the Tour de France and she really rates the Vercors. I was planning to go there myself this summer but had to change my plans - but definitely next year.

I know it's not quite what you were looking for, but you might be interested in the
    Grande Traversée du Vercors a mountainbike (and horseriding) circuit around the Vercors.

The site also has listings of accommodation in the area. I've also done a Google map of hotels and campsites in the area.

For shorter mountainbike routes you might want to look at utagawavtt where French mountainbikers upload information on day and mulit-day rides. It's all in French though (and I'm assuming you have a GPS). There's a set of drop-down menus on the top left of the screen the 'Massif' menu includes a Vercors option which produces 75 results.

Sorry I can't help on the roadbiking side. Have fun. Please post if you have any tips to pass on when you get bak.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Somebody posted a link to this site on anther thread:

http://www.gastrobiking.com/holidays/area.html
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    andymiller wrote:
    Somebody posted a link to this site on anther thread:

http://www.gastrobiking.com/holidays/area.html

I had a look at this site, and I think it is genius. As is clear from my signature, I perhaps don't get the balance quite right, but I do believe that cycling and eating are two of life's greatest pleasures. Good call for sharing this link.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I envy you the trip to the Vercors; it is wonderful.

Personally, I find the landscape between the Channel and Reims to be very monotonous, so crack on through there.

After that, you might consider the Vosges (if you want some hilly stuff) or Burgundy (e.g turn off the A6 to the West and ride the back roads from Beaune to Macon) where you could do the wineries and eat like royalty.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Try these links, also on grenoble site go to the videos in youtube and be amazed, just awesome
    Peter

http://www.bikeandski-vercors.com
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • hello. saw the posts regarding cycling in the Vercors and just wanted to introduce ourselves. This is our first year running a cycling holiday business in the Vercors - we are based right at the foothills in a lovely village called St Jean-en-Royans. Its where Roger finished his semi-pro cycling career so we know the area very well and like everyone says, its absolutely incredible. for more info check us out at www.velovercors.com and we look forward to introducing as many cyclists as possible to this hidden gem. all the best Teresa
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    A few of us cycled in the Tarn Gorge a few weeks ago, truely stunning days in the saddle, lots of superb climbs, great scenery and friendly people. Can't recomend it highly enough. Oh, and get to see the Milleau Bridge - awesome.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rruston
    rruston Posts: 1
    If you are heading for the Vercors you should have a look at the website for Velovercors. www.velovercors.com .I stayed there recently with my brother. It is a fantastic area for cycling and is run by a very friendly English couple who have recently renovated the accomodation- self catering. They are very friendly and offered all sorts of practical help with rides - and are happy to accompany you or leave you to your own devices. Roger has a wealth of experience having been a road racing professional on the continent. We were on the roads - fanatstic climbs and descents with good views and very little traffic-but I gather there is also a lot of good mountain biking in the area.
  • m1ked
    m1ked Posts: 2
    I agree with others on this post - I would seriously recommend the Vercors. As someone who always thought of the Alps as high peaks and glaciers I was seriously surprised. A great area with some good challenging rides for those who want to test themselves like a Tour pro....but also fun for those whose interest in wine and a office based lifestyle :cry: means they need a few days to get back to doing big blasts! It is also so quiet - apart from the odd farmer cheering/tooting you up the hill!

There are some good places to stay/camp. I like some others here I have stayed at www.velovercors.com. Everything you need and more (I wasn't expecting decent modern showers like you get in big hotels!) I would recommend you give them a look, I am going to be heading back next year (maybe this year if I can convince her that I am much nicer to live with after a week's riding!!). The couple who run the gites are great in a mad and very keen on on cycling way!! Roger knows the area like the back of his hand and is a font of knowledge over where to ride meaning you can go out with one of his maps and not only see some great scenery (check the web for some pictures) and not get lost.

Enjoy!
  • the route des cretes in the vosges is very pleasent for road biking (http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0#15569370).

Also if you're in Northern France then really you should ride some of the bits of Paris-Roubaix - either the Arenberg Trench or the Carrefour de l'Arbre. Up to you whether you ride the road bike or mountain bike.
  • m1ked
    m1ked Posts: 2
    Has anyone here been to Velo Vercors recently (http://www.velovercors.com), it looks like they have been refurbishing/developing away like crazy since my last trip. Am looking at booking again especially now they are offering Cyclosportives - the routes look like i need to get a few miles on my legs too or I may be :oops: .
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    To the E of Grenoble you have the Vecors, to the North the Chartreuse and to the east, the Belledonne Alpes. The is more than enough cycling for anyone. I suggest you motor straight down to the Grenoble area and get stuck in.
    There are many famous climbs and some no-name local ones that are just as good.
  • Puzzler
    Puzzler Posts: 73
    Lots of praise going on for 'velovercors' in this thread and I've got to add to it.
    Five of us went last June and it was simply fantastic, the scenary and quality of rides are hard to beat and Roger is such a great guy and guide.
    We had a good few BBQ's with both Roger and Teresa in the evening and they're good company.
    Ten of us hiring two of their Gites again this June and cant wait to get back out there.
    Highly recommended.

I've also stayed at Gastrobiking and would also recommend them, very nice people and a good place to stay if there are one or two of you since you stay in there house.

However, if theres more than a couple of you and you would prefer your own Gite then for a very well priced week in the South of France I'd go for Velovercors it cant be beat.
  • Zibbles
    Zibbles Posts: 6
    Little Sue wrote:
    I'm heading to France for a couple of weeks in early September, driving from Calais to the Vercor, combining both road cycling and mountain biking. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to stop for a couple of days on for the way down and on the way back that are a good central spot for some good road rides and / or mountain bike routes. Doesn't have to be directly en-route, but roughly in line of heading from Calais to Grenoble.

Also any advice / suggestions / comments on bike-friendly campsites, circular road routes, places to eat, weather etc etc most welcome :) Or any pointers for useful webistes to find further information?

Cheers

I'm off to france in September too, so I don't need to post a new topic.

I live in Birkenhead, Wirral, So my plan was to load the car with my gear, and then drive 'daan saaf' - park up somwhere close to a port (Any advice on this welcome) and take the bike and trailer across on the ferry/train (again and advice on this welcome)

I don't have a route in mind, other than I wanna do about 80/100 miles a day, and not take on any hills!
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    [quote=

I'm off to france in September too, so I don't need to post a new topic.

I live in Birkenhead, Wirral, So my plan was to load the car with my gear, and then drive 'daan saaf' - park up somwhere close to a port (Any advice on this welcome) and take the bike and trailer across on the ferry/train (again and advice on this welcome)

I don't have a route in mind, other than I wanna do about 80/100 miles a day, and not take on any hills![/quote]

That's going to be difficult; most channel ports make you climb to get off the beach (Cherbourg for example). I am not up to date with the ferry sailings but Caen or St Malo would appear to be favourite. Or go to Calais or Dunkirk and stick in the north. Taking bike and trailer by train may be more trouble than you imagine; France is still not really geared up to cyclists without cars. Try heading for the Atlantic coast and heading south from St Nazaire towards the Landes; or the Eurovélo route 6 up the Loire valley (or combine the two but get on the south side of the Loire before St Nazaire 'cos the bridge is not cycle friendly). The bay of the Somme is also lovely but a bit limited if you are going for a long trip.

Have a nice holiday

Cheers Jo

PS don't come to where I live; we got hills!!
  • Zibbles
    Zibbles Posts: 6
    Cheers Jo, I'm going to drive to portsmouth, and go on the ferry with my bike and trailer to St malo. I'm not that bothered about inclines, it's just with the trailer and the fact I've only got a compact, I'd rather avoid hills if I can.
    :oops:

Probably looking at going on the eurovelo 1, or at least part of it; down the atlantic coast. I'm going on a racer, so will be hoping for smooth roads. I've had good reports re: the roads in france, but then again, I can't be certain. The planning stages are here, and that's why I'm here :)
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 244
    Great area to be in. We are staying with Gastrobiking at the moment and I have to say they are wonderful. It's our third trip. You have the option of staying in the house or at the Hotel in St Jean which makes a wonderful base.

Good riding. Good food and good conversation. I can't recommend Phil and Sophie enough.
  • When I get away from the Alps and fancy something completely different, I love to head to the Burgundy. South of Beaune is stunning and each local village you pass through on your bike are a little piece of wine making history.