Thirlmere

Going up to lakes for holiday this weekend, been looking at map,noticed a road around Thirlmere. Anyone know what its like, it cuts out a lot of the A591, which can be a bit busy.

Comments

• Dave L
    Dave L Posts: 251
    It's fairly quiet, pretty level, and certainly preferable to the main road.
    You don't actually get many views of the lake (sorry resevoir) since most of the way there are trees in the way.

Dave
    Dave
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I rode it this summer - much, much better than the main road. A really good, pretty much pan flat road - was able to bomb along it quite happily and only saw a couple of cars.

At the north end of the 'mere it's worth taking the road across the dam if there's been heavy rain, as the other road out to the north can get flooded. Nice view down the Lake as well.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I rode along there on a tour in 1994 with a crazy, loveable Australian who insisted on yelling "Coooo-eeeeee" into the peace and quiet, just for the hell of it because it seemed such a quiet place with no one around to hear. I'd strongly recommend the road, but don't take an Australian with you.

Ruth
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Always sage advice

:D (just kidding Alex)

I've ridden round there as well - very nice loop. A few of us went up to the Lakes and stayed in a very nice camping barn just up the road in St John's Well (I think it's called). We rode about 60 miles of the Fred Whitton route (well I walked most of Hardknott Pass) on the Saturday, and took a spin round Thirlmere as a recovery ride on the Sunday. it was very much needed!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    East side of Thirlmere is a lovely quiet road and now they've done a lot of tree felling it feels a bit more open and the views are slightly better.

Try and include a spin down St Johns in the Vale and up to Castlerigg Stone Circle.
    Tremendous views from up there. Some pics here...
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/localri ... /index.htm

Might see you in the area - I'm going up that way myself on Sunday!

Cheeers... Allan.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'