I thought I was dying.............

Tino4444
Tino4444 Posts: 281
edited August 2009 in Amateur race
Hi All,

Yesterday evening I experienced ''bonking'' for the first time (not the good kind :wink: ) and it was an experience that I never want to repeat!!

Yesterday evening I took part in my weekly 10 mile TT that started for me at 7:30pm, however I had not eaten anything with the exception of approx 5 wine gums since 1pm!!

Felt fine on the way round the course until I reached the end!!

I had to sit down with my head between my knees and nearly told my mate to call for an ambulance!!

My pulse was racing and would not settle and I felt like death. Went home and straight to bed!! :(

I never want to experience that again.....gonna fuel up on bananas, beans on toast and maybe a mars bar before the next tt!!

Tino.
Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    To be honest I doubt you can bonk on a 10m TT, you have more than enough glycogen stored in the muscles for the actual ride, it would only take about 300 calories of energy.

You might not have drunk enough fluids before and after, and was suffering dehydration, or perhaps you pushed yourself right to your limit, and the body needs time to recover.

I have come across the line in a 10, nearly unable to breath due to the effort, and feeling I want to collapse by the side of the road. A slow warm down gets the HR down and gives yo time to recover. Did you stop right after the finsih and get straight off the bike, if so, no doubt this assisted in making you feel weak. I would always advise warming down slowly for at least a mile.

No doubt the lack of food, or fluids didn't help, and I would suggest a snack of a couple of bits of fruit, a couple of hours before the event, along with hydrating yourself throughout the day with water. I drink a energy drink whilst warming up as well, so that fuild loss during the race doesn't affect me afterwards.
  • Tino4444
    Thanks for your response.

I did not drink that much either before the TT, just a quick wet from the energy drink that I had with me. I drained the rest of the bottle when feeling really bad but to be honest I think I was feeling too bad by this point for it to make me feel 100% again.

I did stop straight after yes and did not realise that I was supposed to do anthing different :oops: I did wonder actually why some of the others sail past the finish line and continue down the road, I thought they were just nutters haha!! Thanks for that I will ensure that I warm down afterwards.

I had not eaten much all day to be fair though, just had sultana bran for breakfast, an apple and a bowl of chicken and pasta!! Think I will deffo eat a lot more next time but about an hour to an hour and a half prior to the TT.

One thing is for sure I dont wanna ever feel like that again.

Tino.
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    I had the same thing a couple of weeks back at a hilly 13 TT, last 3 miles I got tunnel vision and started seeing stars and couldn't stand at the finish, but doing 40 miles of hill intervals earlier in the day didn't help! Didn't refuel properly and just died. This weeks TT however, I ate tons before hand and it went amazingly so I'm being a bit more careful in future too.
  • i quite often see starts or flashy dots in races often when it dont even feel like i am right on the limit, asfor fueling i allways have a bowl of cereal before a mornign race and maybe a bar and a banana if a can manage it, if it is a evening race a have a bowl of cereal in the morning when i get up, a sandwich cereal bar crisps and yogert at about 10 then again at about 12 30 1 plus a fruit, then when i get home from work at about half 4 i then have something else to eat, if i was to skip any of these eating stages i woul dprobably come close to dieing on a hard training ride or a crit, 5 and 10 mile tt's are never meant to feel good some people say if you are nto sick afterwards you didnt try hard enough but personnaly i dont think i could push myself that hard on a bike thats on the road
  • Tino4444
    Much better this week.......Steak and chips 1 hour before start of TT :D

Tino