'92 Cannondale M800 'Beat of the East' NEARLY FINISHED

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited August 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Obtained the frame recently from Retrobike and have a few parts (mostly period-ish) ready to go, there is still a long way to go on this but thought I would start here, and provide updates along the way, funds for decent kit is the biggest obstacle, but I believe I am mostly there.....

1990 LX Chainset (NOS)
XT BB
Ringle Moby post (bargain at £15!!)
Fred Salmon bar stem combo in 'Ti patina' (NOS)
XT rear mech
LX front
XT V-brakes (not entirely retro but won't look out of place plus I got the whole set for £30 NOS
LX Brake Levers (NOS)
Sell Italia roadie saddle (newish)
Ritchey foam grips

Campag Stheno rims on XT hubs (again from Retrobike!) NOS

Have a pair of Pepperonis lined up (hopefully) but am saving for them at the moment! I phoned Bob Jacksons (who sprayed the frame) and they are doing the forks for £30 to match!

I am building this bike up for road use, due to it's low weight and pretty lightweight build, this will be used for London to Brighton duties! (I have a bike for pretty much every discipline) This will have 1.2 slicks on it! :(

Anyway, thought I'd share some photos and looking forward to getting on with the build...

s1050472.jpg
s1050473.jpg
mongooseteam057188.jpg
mongooseteam058110.jpg
mongooseteam063407.jpg

Comments

• I love it! I want one in a 13" flavour to build an old skool trials bike.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Thanks matey, it truly is VERY light, have not weighed it yet.

I am hoping to get it around the 21lb mark!

I think that can be done, saved weight with campag rims/tyres/bar stem combination

Can't wait, the trouble is obtaining period parts for it, it also has a 1 1/4" headtube (running a reducer at the moment)

Chris King do a devolution 1 1/4" - 1 1/8th reducer, Probably get one in silver, although thats about £80!!!!
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    They are light, old bikes. Shocked my when i rode a 92' rockhopper a few weeks ago - like a rocket!

Very nice bike coming together there!
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    it's going to look very nice when it's finished
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If there are any retro bits you're looking for pm me, the lbs where i work has a ton of really old stock but some really nice bits that could go really well with it.
  • If there are any retro bits you're looking for pm me, the lbs where i work has a ton of really old stock but some really nice bits that could go really well with it.

Cheers - I'll take you up on that!!!

Gotta do a check of what I need and then I'll pop a PM over :)
  • Righto, the bits are starting to come in...

First up we have a brand new set of Surly forks in gloss black. The reason I chose these is because of the diameter of the legs (not too skinny because of the 'dales oversize tubing, and the fact that they don't taper in too much, they had the lowest A-C height (to keep the front end low) and look great (and really look good against the cannondale graphics), they and the V-brakes/saddle/pedals are the only 'modern' touches, although the forks don't look out of place by any means.... neither do the pedals and V-brakes....

s1050497.jpg

Then my wheels turned up from RetroBike, very light and lovely to look at, the pictures don't do them justice!! Loving the Stheno rim profile.

s1050483.jpg
    s1050482.jpg
    s1050481.jpg
    s1050481.jpg

Then I bought some Onza Track pedals, toeclips (no straps) and some pedal spinners to flip 'em right way up, all in silver. Bought these as I have size 10/11 feet and like a good solid platform, and wanted something 'period' looking...

s1050496.jpg

Tomorrow (hopefully) a few more bits turn up:
    Cassette
    Chain
    Cables (gear and brake)
    Some lithium grease
    headset spacers

8 Speed LX Shifters will be here at the end of the week (again from RetroBike)

That's about it, all-in-all the build has cost me about £400!!! Worth a hell of a lot more :wink:

Am expecting it to weigh in at approx 21/22lb

I just need some nice black ano cage bolts and some ferrules (just get these from the LBS)

Good times :D
  • ujack67
    ujack67 Posts: 25
    Thats gonna look fantastic....got my first bike in 1989 a metalic yellow muddy fox explorer...takes me back...i loved that bike. :roll:
  • Cheers mate,

Yep, she's gonna be a Bobby Dazzler alright, have deliberately kept it as period (early to mid 90s kit) as possible, albeit the forks/pedals/V'brakes/tyres

Also, kept it low-key in the looks department, predominately white and siilver with black touched throughout, I *MAY* get the forks sprayed the same colour as the frame at some point (Italian Pearl metallic white)

Will look after this one, as it's going to be my 'road/tarmac' bike. Will be run with low profile slicks, I can't go over to the dark side just yet :wink:
  • Rolling chassis:

s1050498.jpg

s1050499.jpg

s1050500.jpg

s1050501.jpg

Nice and clean don't you think? Obviously there's nothing on it lol, but it shall be kept as clean as possible!

What do you think?

Classic beauty from 1992 - She's gonna be stunning - and her name is Carrie-Anne

:D:lol:
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    I took an old beast of the east to the tip a few weeks ago, original p bone forks included. It wasnt nearly as tidy as yours, and I couldnt even get £50 for it in the end.

Yours looks a beaut though, love the bar/sten combo
  • billysan wrote:
    I took an old beast of the east to the tip a few weeks ago, original p bone forks included. It wasnt nearly as tidy as yours, and I couldnt even get £50 for it in the end.

Yours looks a beaut though, love the bar/sten combo

Nnnnnoooooooooo - please tell me you didn't!!!!??? :shock: :cry:

They go for a few bob, especially on RetroBike, could of got yourself at least £100 for it over there, with the forks, about £150-£200

Lovely frames, BITD they were up there with Cannondales 'top-of-the-line' frames... always lusted after one.

mine was resprayed last year (think it was originally blue)

Thanks for the comments though, we'll pleased with her!!!! 8)
  • ujack67
    Looks sweeeet, you should deffo get the forks sprayed to match, that would pull the build together when its finished. keep the pics coming! :D
  • ujack67
    Looks sweeeet, you should deffo get the forks sprayed to match, that would pull the build together when its finished. keep the pics coming! :D
  • Cheers, these forks will stay on for a few months then I will sell them probably.

There is a guy in OZ that has an NOS set of original pepperoni forks that mate this frame, they are in purple, he's coming over to the UK in a few weeks and bringing them with him (saves on the shipping/import duty etc) once here I shall send them off to get sprayed the same colour (6 week turnaround - then I shall swap them over)

Anyway, that said, I have been busy tonight and have got a little further...

s1050502.jpg

s1050504.jpg
  • UPDATE on progress.

Well, she is finally there (well almost)

The only thing left is the cabling (gear and brake - just waiting for the inners to turn up from CRC)

Please forgive the skinny-slicks on there, this is going to be used as a road/training bike, and is light enough/fit for purpose. Undoubtedly looks a little odd, however, I am sure she will make for a stunning ride.

The pedals look large, however, fine for me as I have size 10/11 feet and need a large stable platform, no straps on the toe clips, as I find them bloody dangerous!

All NOS kit (minus a couple of parts) and she looks brand new, impressive that she's 17 years old!!!

Anyway, here are some up to date pics, nothing will change apart from the cabling, I am VERY happy with the build, and it weighs approx 221b (not confirmed as of yet)

Thoughts/comments?

Obviously when I get the original Pepperoni rigids in a few weeks/resprayed it will lower the front end by approx 20mm so this will make a difference....

s1050532.jpg
    s1050526.jpg
    s1050530.jpg
    s1050529.jpg
    s1050528.jpg
    s1050527.jpg
    s1050531.jpg
    s1050533.jpg
    s1050534.jpg
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    that's pretty sweet. I have the same frame, converted it to SS a couple of years ago. I had lost the fork so bought an Identity Tuning fork, which is a trials fork so very short A2C (395 iirc) I came across a picture of myself recently, from 1992 riding it in Monument Valley (Moab) wearing an ETTO helmet and everything! bloody took me back that did

it's a cracking frame, harsh in that "oooh, aluminium, there's a good material for bikes, let's make them stiff as all hell" school of thought

you'll have fun on it I'm sure .... do get it out on some trails though!

here's mine
    3033890979_b939cd0557.jpg
    3034721998_ffb38fcb28.jpg
    3034727172_e237bd1a4d.jpg
    3033886433_2a1395495e.jpg
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • saltyman
    saltyman Posts: 472
    8) looking good
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • Here's some better and clearer pics... nearly there! :D

s1050563.jpg

s1050564.jpg

Good effort for not much expenditure in a short space of time, was lucky to get all the NOS Retro/period correct components though! :wink: