Cutting gear/brake cables

dewei
dewei Posts: 172
edited August 2009 in Workshop
I've just changed a gear cable and it is far too long. I would like some tips on how to cut it without making a mess (unravelling of all the threads etc). Thanks.

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    get a specific bike cable cutter, they normally have a a crimping bit too so you can crimp a metal cap on the end to stop the fraying.

at the very least get a heavy duty wire cutter, your average wire cutters won't be up to the job of cutting bike cables.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    You can use really crappy blunt cutters and still do it right - the trick is to do it really really fast. The slower you cut it, the more you'll chew it up. Experiment first by cutting off very small bits of cable until you get the technique right.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I guess your idea of blunt is not my idea of blunt, I've tried cutting with a blunt cutter before and doing it fast and the cable end is a mess, I use a decent cutter now.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    No substitute for a decent cutter - a crap/blunt one is just going to leave your cables in a state. Get the best you can afford.

I use one from Park and it's superb.
  • dewei
    Thanks everybody.
    As I feared, I need to buy yet another tool to add to my collection. I was hoping there was a an cheaper way out!
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    If you don't have decent cable cutters, I read about this trick in a bike magazine a few years ago:

- Use a lighter or match to heat the section of cable where you want to cut it. Just hold the cable at the top of the flame for a couple of seconds. The cable should now cut cleanly even with a semi-decent cutting edge on a pair of pliers.
    - If you don't have cable end caps (which are best and cheap and readily available from bike shops) use super glue to keep the end from fraying.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Bhima wrote:
    You can use really crappy blunt cutters and still do it right - the trick is to do it really really fast. The slower you cut it, the more you'll chew it up. Experiment first by cutting off very small bits of cable until you get the technique right.

Do you sit there and think, "Now, what is the most ridiculous thing I could possible post as a reply to this thread. I know, this will do..."?
  • Try wrapping the part of the cable you are trying to cut with a small bit of insulating tape. Wrap it tight, and you will find that it makes a much cleaner cut on the wire
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    if you don't want spend the extra money getting a new bike tool. pop down to your local hardware store and buy a set of heavy duty wire cutters. I got a pair from B&Q for about £8. They cut brake cables OK but my bike specific cutters that I now have do feel better.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    BenBlyth wrote:
    Do you sit there and think, "Now, what is the most ridiculous thing I could possible post as a reply to this thread. I know, this will do..."?

Yes, of course, just for you. :wink:

Of course you should get good tools, but if you're stuck with poor ones, my solution usually works.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    You can also cut cable outers with a junior hack-saw. Clamp the cable lightly in a vice (use some cardboard to protect the cabe, so you don't squish it), and saw through gently. Tidy-up any burrs with a file. Job Done! 8)
    Cycling weakly
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I use heat shrink tubing to help to stop cable fray. I think it's neater than the crimped ends. I use a lot of heat-shrink anyway for my aeromodelling activities but it's useful for lots of other jobs.

I've been cutting Bowden cable for years (motor and pedal cycles) using piano wire cutters I inherited from my father but they're very old (pre-war) and getting blunt so I invested in some purpose cutters from Bicycle Promotions and they make the job a piece of cake. Well worth the money - whatever it was :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I cut with a decent set of wire cutters and I then run a little solder on the end to stop it unravelling, nice and neat and you can still undo the cable ofr any jobs you need to do without having to take a cap off.
  • bobtravers
    bobtravers Posts: 115
    Take a Park Tool or Pedro's cable cutter, works better than regular one and you will keep it for your life!
  • dewei
    I will get round to get a proper cable cutter.
    I could not wait for a new tool so, trying Stelvio_Wi's tip, I wrapped the cable with double cellotape and use and ordinary wirecutter. Where it frayed before, the cable ends were neat! Thanks Stelvio_W
  • i would order bike cable cutters, i have used all kinds of wire cutters on my cable inners and outer casings and nothing will do it to a good finish. use the bike cable cutters only