Caisse need 2nd sponsor for Contador

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited August 2009 in Pro race
http://www.velonews.com/article/96558/pereiro-contador-in-balance-as-caisse-d-epargne-faces-2010

Also interesting about the possibility of Soler going there too, I was hoping maybe he'd go to Sky.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    If I set up a Paypal account, do you think we could all chip in to get him away from Astana?
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    afx237vi wrote:
    If I set up a Paypal account, do you think we could all chip in to get him away from Astana?
    :lol: Do it, I'm in.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    http://www.velonews.com/article/96566/t ... a-contract

Might have been posted before but a good, if lengthy, explaination of Contador's contract problems...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Where does this leave Alejandro Valverde? Would he leave to be the leader of another team (maybe replace Contador at Astana?) or would he be willing to be support for Contador??
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Where does this leave Alejandro Valverde

maybe he's decided to spend more time with his family :lol:
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016

So does that mean a worldwide doping ban? I thought it was only an Italian ban...
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    It is for now, hopefully the UCI will finally make a decision and extend the ban worldwide, but I'm not holding my breath....
  • Angus444
    Angus444 Posts: 141

"Gardening Leave......." :D:D
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Incentive for Valverde at the Vuelta then. He wins,he can move with relative ease of demand support from Caisse.
    M.Rushton
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    It is for now, hopefully the UCI will finally make a decision and extend the ban worldwide, but I'm not holding my breath....
    The UCI aren't the blocking factor in Valverde's case, instead its CAS (the Court of Arbitration in Sport). The UCI requested that the Spanish Federation examine the Italian ruling and make a judgement on Valverde themselves, but they've done nothing so far. In the meantime Valverde's lawyers have appealed to CAS against the Italian judgement. As far as I know no date has yet been set for the CAS hearing.
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    I don't see why Valverde would move if Contador joined, he'd still get a crack at the classics and stage wins. He's not going to win any stage races that Contador is competing for anyway.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Meds1962 wrote:
    I don't see why Valverde would move if Contador joined, he'd still get a crack at the classics and stage wins. He's not going to win any stage races that Contador is competing for anyway.
    Not to mention he might be banned by then anyway.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Very interesting interview to Contador in El Mundo

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... ry_state0=
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    teagar wrote:
    http://www.velonews.com/article/96566/the-explainer---when-is-a-contract-not-a-contract

Might have been posted before but a good, if lengthy, explaination of Contador's contract problems...

the link is interesting, but as an analysis of contador's contractual situation, it is rubbish. as far as I can see, none of the "arguments" he could use to have his contract declared void are sound. it might be true that "the courts will decide", but they would decide in favour of astana if he showed up with a case based on these arguments.

if he's riding elsewhere next year, it will be because he has paid astana to let him ride elsewhere, or because they have cut their losses and decided to spend his salary on happy riders rather than him. now cde have announced their willingness to pay, the latter option seems vanishingly unlikely. It's just a question of how much now. Astana will presumably name a figure based on their perception of the depths of the pockets of whatever new sponsor unzue brings in.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,042
    if he's riding elsewhere next year, it will be because he has paid astana to let him ride elsewhere, or because they have cut their losses and decided to spend his salary on happy riders rather than him. now cde have announced their willingness to pay, the latter option seems vanishingly unlikely. It's just a question of how much now. Astana will presumably name a figure based on their perception of the depths of the pockets of whatever new sponsor unzue brings in.

In that case I shan't chip in to release him. He can stay where he is another year.
    After all, the source of all his misery will have left.