Statins

mr biscuit
mr biscuit Posts: 20
edited September 2009 in Health, fitness & training
After years of trying to lower my cholesterol through diet and recently special drinks with no success, I have now started taking statins. The effect on my cholesterol was dramatic and brought it into 'safe' levels in a couple of months but I have found that my fitness and strength levels also appear to have dropped.
Does anyone know if it is the statins causing this or could it be I just need to train more?

Comments

• Not a known side effect of statins that im aware of, and id doubt it v much
    they might even start adding statins to the watersupply soon..!

although 4 obvious reasons they aren't v often given to an athletic population. try lecithin granules on ur cerials they mop up cholesterol.
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Cholesterol is related to testosterone production and what you're saying does sound like it could be down to low testosterone.

I have no idea if the link with statins is possible but it's something to consider/read up on.
  • lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    I have been on Statins for 3 weeks because of slightly high cholesterol and my family history, the main side effect that the doctor told me was that they can cause achey muscles, I am not sure if i have suffered this and it has gone because I had a virus for the first 3 weeks I was taking them.

Does anyone know if they cause insomnia?
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • I haven't had any problems with insomnia but sometimes have a bit of indigestion when I go to bed. I take them just before going to bed so will start taking an hour or so before and see if that helps.
    I do know of people who had to stop taking them due to aching muscles. Luckily I don't suffer with that but sometimes feel weary and struggle when out riding.
    It could be just that I have had a crap couple of years, not getting out enough and not been that careful with my diet??
    The positive thing about statins is that they have reduced my cholesterol from a high to a normal level.
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    I have been on various drugs for coming up to 2 years thanks to a 'presumed' heart attack.

Aside from the fact that the medical proffesion is undecided as to what happened to me, I have been on statins as well as beta blockers, aspirin and ace inhibitors since Christmas 2007. :(

At first there was only effects from the BB as my max heart rate was around 110bpm.

Now they have been lowered to next to nothing I don't seem to suffer with heart rate.

The statins I started on (40mg Simvastatin) seemed ok for a year, then I started to get muscle cramps when exercising and my eyesight became blurred during the day.

Changed statins twince with no difference and ended up on 5mg of Crestor per day. That had the same side effects but also gave me a big temper problem and I was on the edge all the time.

Am now off the statins for a month to see if my effects clear up. After 3 days they mostly have, and I am going out for a ride this weekend to judge any performance gains.

I'd say stay off them at all costs if you can avoid it. Far better to change your diet and lifestyle to bring the figueres down.
  • i was put onto one of the types of statins recently too
    as i am "at risk" and was slightly high on the LDL's

i had one tablet (40mg) and i was ill for best part of 5 days

physiosteve
    these lecithin granules how do they compare to the plant sterols every one is raving about at the moment ? and could i take both or would that be over load ?

i'd rather not get on to statins if i can help it,
    i've yet to go see the Doc for a follow up as he was away
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Although statins are great there's usually an underlying cause that makes it necessary to take them, a good diet rich in fatty acids and fresh fruit n veg will negate the need for them.

They're an aid but not the be and end all that they're made out to be. :)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Luckily for me I have not experienced the reaction that kdw712 had. But am concerned about muscle loss. At my level of fitness and age I don't need that!
    As for reducing the levels through diet, I tried that and it never dropped at all.
    All to do with genes.