Vaughters interview at NY Velocity

jswba
jswba Posts: 491
edited August 2009 in Pro race

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good I/V...

Would be interesting to see Contador at Garmin.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Good I/V...

Could work out well for him. Plenty of roulers to do the donkey work and a couple decent climbers to help out when the road points upwards.

Will never happen though.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Good I/V...

Would be interesting to see frenchfighter mincing around in Argyle............
  • Steve Tcp
    Steve Tcp Posts: 7,350
    I like Vaughters, especially the way he thrives on being a bit wacky (including tactically sometimes). His story about first meeting Lance Armstrong (who had overheard JV describe him as "dumb" to another rider so chased him around a car park with violent intent) is really funny. There are a couple of audio interviews with him on http://www.competitorradio.com/ (and some other interesting ones with the likes of Tyler Hamilton, David Walsh, Betsy Andreau).

I must add that whilst I admire the Garmin team and JV, I've not yet had a single positive thought about their kit!
    Take care,

Steve.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    This is really an amazing thought, and it's true!
    schmalz Well, if Cavendish weren't around, Tyler would be the best in the world right now.

JV Yeah, I know – it's amazing, huh?

Think about how little press Tyler Farrar gets compared to all the sprinters he beat at the TDF. Yet, if not for Cav (who deserves all the press), he'd have won 4-5 stages! So at the TDF, he was the second best in the world.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    donrhummy wrote:
    This is really an amazing thought, and it's true!
    schmalz Well, if Cavendish weren't around, Tyler would be the best in the world right now.

JV Yeah, I know – it's amazing, huh?

Think about how little press Tyler Farrar gets compared to all the sprinters he beat at the TDF. Yet, if not for Cav (who deserves all the press), he'd have won 4-5 stages! So at the TDF, he was the second best in the world.

How'd you work that out? Farrar only finished 2nd twice.

Farrar is a promising sprinter, and he has years to get better, but I think he's getting a little overhyped at the moment. Without Cavendish, there's still Renshaw, Greipel, Petacchi, Hushovd, Freire, Bennati when fit...

The only things he's won this year are two stages of the Zeeland Tour and one stage of T-A. Yes, he gets lots of top 5 placings, but so do a ton of other guys. Yes, he beat Cavendish once, but one swallow does not make a summer.

When he starts getting regular victories in races bigger than the Zeeland Tour, then you can call him the second best sprinter in the world.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    davelakers wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Good I/V...

Would be interesting to see frenchfighter mincing around in Argyle............

Haha, good one! I'm not the type of guy to wear recent pro kit though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Good I/V...

If this were to happen think Wiggo would be off to Sky?

He says he wants to fight for the GC next year and having Alberto in the side surely wouldn't allow this?
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I'd like to read more from the guy who was posting the questions. Funny!