Varoius noob questions - forks, chains, tools

setspeed
setspeed Posts: 141
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi, just a couple of quick questions:

1. I'm getting a bike with suspension forks for the first time soon. Only ever ridden a rigid MTB. What adjustments do i need to make to my riding style to avoid coming a cropper? I have visions of being launched over the bars on downhills if i hit a hard bump and the forks suddenly dive!

2. What basic tools do I absolutely have to have as a beginner? I've got the usual household stuff like allen keys, screwdrivers, sockets etc. I gather i'll need tyre levers, and a chain splitter - anything else?

3.I'm getting a new chain for my bike, as i've been advised its a good idea as the cassette has just been replaced. I've just found a chain i'm going to buy:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=6053
Do i also need a connecting pin (either now or later on when i next split the chain)?:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=186

Thanks!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    1) Depends on the bike! Start slowly, and get used to it, simple as that.

2) Are dozens of threads on tools - try a search of the forum and ask back if have mor specific questions.

3) How many gears do you have?
  • setspeed
    supersonic wrote:
    1) Depends on the bike! Start slowly, and get used to it, simple as that.

2) Are dozens of threads on tools - try a search of the forum and ask back if have mor specific questions.

3) How many gears do you have?

Youre right, i shouldve done the seacrh first actually!

The bike is 27 gears.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    3. Have a look at SRAM chains, which close with a powerlink. You can then carry a couple of spare powerlinks just in case you do ever break a link.
  • setspeed
    3. Have a look at SRAM chains, which close with a powerlink. You can then carry a couple of spare powerlinks just in case you do ever break a link.

They seem quite pricey compared to the Shimano one i've linked to above. I never broke a chain when i was riding MTBs as a kid, and you can just remove a link as a temporary "get you home" measure if the chain breaks, cant you?
    With that in mind, i think im likely to wear it out before it breaks i think. I was just wondering if what the Shimano connecting pin was for, and when it would be used?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    SRAM PC951 are cheap and reliable.