Long Mynd, Saturday 5th September

puddle-rider
puddle-rider Posts: 295
edited August 2009 in MTB rides
A small group of us are going out for the day over the Long Mynd, the plan is to depart the Co-Op car park at 10.00am, head up through Carding Mill Valley and over towards Bridges, back up to the Trig Point and down into Little Stretton for a pub lunch at about 12 Noon, plan to leave the pub at about 1.00pm head off back to the top via Priors Holt and the gliding club and come back down again via the Batch into All Stretton to return to the car park for about 3.30pm overall it's about 20-25 miles.
The route is not too technical and the pace will be moderate, ie none of us are fit enough for any thing more :lol:
If any one wants to join us then you are more than welcome.

Comments

• Wow, I've just plotted virtually that route for this Saturday. Only difference is that I'm going as far as Stiperstones via Rattlinghope, then back to Bridges and pick the route up again. Great country, lets hope the weather holds.
    Frank Yates
  • I have done the trip to Stiperstones via Ratlinghope as well, but for my group Stiperstones may be a trip too far and all the rocks leading up to the Devils Chair are a pain in the butt!

This should be the route itaking in Minton Batch descent instead of the descent from Pole Cottage to Little Stretton

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/195846

The forecast is not so good for Saturday but enjoy any way
  • I'm not too impressed with Minton Bach. Last time I was there the top bit was largely washed away. Thought I'd try Pole Cottage - Little Stretton this time.

Forecast is never good this summer, or last, or the year before........
    Frank Yates
  • Minton Batch doesn't do it for me either Pole Cottage is much faster and more fun :lol:

You never know summer 2012 might be good!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can't make this one but let me know when the next one is as I'd liked to join you. I did Minton Batch 3 weeks ago - looks like there is a boardwalk going in at the boggy patch half way down so you might be in luck if it's been installed. There was a bit of erosion further down which rode fine and has the makings of a great berm if you're man enough :wink:
  • Hi Muddypuddle,

I know the erosion you talk about and yes does look like an interesting berm if your man enough!

I gather you can get out during the day, I can also with a bit of notice get the afternoons off so if you fancy something setting out at about 2.30pm then put a post up, how far is the Wyre Forest from Cannock in travelling time?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi Puddle Rider

Yup - I can do day time most days if I'm not booked up. Cannock to Wyre Forest would be about 45mins to 1hr but have never travelled that route - looks like it's straight down the A449 so fairly easy to get there depending on the traffic. Can show you the Wyre if you need a guide round - everyone seems to get lost in there for some reason.

I have 26 Sept in my diary for a Long Mynd ride but can do other stuff before that but not for the next 10 days or so.
  • antshybrid
    antshybrid Posts: 139
    sounds likie a good route, im very tempted to join you guys, ive done some of the route a couple of times but not very quickly!
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    I can't do 6th Sept unfortunately, as i'll be back in Germany. I am however in the UK over the BH weekend and am riding on Sat 29th Aug and possibly Fri 28th in the afternoon.

I will be doing eiher Cannock or the Long Mynd if anyone is interested in joining me?
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • and all the rocks leading up to the Devils Chair are a pain in the butt!

Agreed. I'd forgotten just how bad going over Stiperstones summit was. Won't be rushing back there! Pole Cottage descent is definitely better than Minton Bach, and the descent into All Stretton is just one big hoot.

There was some form of gathering of the great unwashed near Gatten. At 10AM most of them were still sleeping off Friday night's "enjoyment", so never got to find out what was going on.

Trails were nearly all dry, but the flies on Prior's Holt made for a speedy ascent.

Must go back.
    Frank Yates
  • Hi TT,
    Glad you had a good time, how long did it take you including Stiperstones? I'm thinking of maybe going that far but taking the bridleway beneath Stiperstones to the car park and then going up the BW towards the summit just for the hoot of going back down again over all the little jumps :lol:

antshybrid ??
    Neither will we be going quickly and your more than welcome to join us.
  • Hi PR,

Stats for Saturday are 30.2 miles, 5500' of climbing in 4hrs 38mins. Was on my own, so I only stopped for a couple of short malt loaf breaks. Stiperstones was mainly a walk, so that slowed me down quite a lot.

If/when I go back I won't go up Stiperstones. I'll take the bridleway you mention. There is the temptation to go up from the southern end just to come down again; as you say those jumps are a hoot.
    Frank Yates