Hincapie off

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Sonny73 wrote:

Minimal. He's never gonna win M-SR like that again and HTC can use George's money to buy someone younger, cheaper and with as big an engine.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    He's probably off to Caddyshack with his ol' mucker Lance
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Monty Dog wrote:
    He's probably off to Caddyshack with his ol' mucker Lance
    Or perhaps Sky to do a bit o' mentoring?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    I would've thought the chances of him going to Sky are zero. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out why.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BMC/Assos...
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    While it might be radioshack, his talk of doing the classics and not the TDF make it unlikely to be RS, as Lance cares about the TDF above all else.
  • Anonymous
    Errr.... BMC / Assos.
  • It's a warm down year before retirement I reckon.
  • Steve Tcp
    Steve Tcp Posts: 7,350
    He'd be a useful addition to any team, but Hincapie is far from irreplaceable I reckon. Stating the obvious I know, but the loss of Renshaw would have a far greater impact on Cav, not just because he was his last leadout man in most sprints, but because he'd be getting himself a decent rival. Even then Cav would get by I suspect.
    Take care,

Steve.
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    BMC seems likely apparently. Thought he'd have taken the chance to get back on board with Lance for one season for old times' sake myself.

On his worth to Cavendish, he did a great job in the TdF this year. He may be replaceable, but did anyone else see his fantastic turn of speed coming out of the final corner on the champs elysee? Put Cavendish so far ahead of everyone else he had a free run in to the line.
  • Anonymous
    Rhods wrote:
    BMC seems likely apparently. Thought he'd have taken the chance to get back on board with Lance for one season for old times' sake myself.

On his worth to Cavendish, he did a great job in the TdF this year. He may be replaceable, but did anyone else see his fantastic turn of speed coming out of the final corner on the champs elysee? Put Cavendish so far ahead of everyone else he had a free run in to the line.

That was Mark Renshaw.
  • Rhods
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Rhods wrote:

That was Mark Renshaw.

I thought there were three of them that came out from behind the Garmin train, with George pulling them past them, then Renshaw taking over? Will try to find a clip!!
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    Renshaw took them through the final corner, hincape was before that. he did a sterling job though, stretched things right out. he did on a few occasions this year.
  • And all with a busted up collar bone. Was it 3 or 4 stages?
    http://twitgoo.com/1xn55 :?
  • Rhods
    I've had a look back at the clip and you're absolutely right aarw. Sterling work by both - Hincapie turned up the pace and positioned them very well to go into that last corner before peeling off. As you say, he did a great job for his team in the last 1km/1.5km this year.
  • Not taking anything away from renshaw he is the man for the leadouts but even Cav post champs was singing big georges praises as the garmin train got completely killed by his turn prior to the last corner.

The comment saying he needs to look out for the company seem to match with the rumours that the BMC deal will agree to use the hincapie kit for team clothing etc as part of it (saw it somewhere but trying to find it again). Also a focus on the classics means he can maybe get the Paris Roubaix win he has always wanted.
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Looks like he is going to RadioShack

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hincapi ... -the-shack
  • Steve Tcp
    Presumably he's forgiven the Astana boys for robbing him of yelow in the Tour now then, or perhaps he's heeded Lance's advice and just blamed it all on Contador. :shock:
    Take care,

Steve.
  • Steve Tcp
    Actually, looking at that article again does this actually confirm that he's committed to The Shack or that he's committed elsewhere? I think it's pretty ambiguous.

"When [Armstrong was] asked: "Who are you bringing with you to the RadioShack team? What about George Hincapie?" The reply was simple:

"He’s already committed. Has been since before we got our funding."
    Take care,

Steve.
  • Ahhh i think you can pencil that in as Geogre going to The Shack.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    One last year before retirment.

I wonder if they'll be wearing Hincapie sportswear?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Given the rules on teams not being allowed to announce signings before September the 1st, can we assume Armstrong will now be fined by the UCI for doing so? I reckon the chances of that happening are nil.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    andyp wrote:
    Given the rules on teams not being allowed to announce signings before September the 1st, can we assume Armstrong will now be fined by the UCI for doing so? I reckon the chances of that happening are nil.

Especially as Armstrong isn't (yet) team management and probably not under any obligation to NOT discuss who is riding for the team and who isn't.
  • calvjones
    Steve Tcp wrote:
    Actually, looking at that article again does this actually confirm that he's committed to The Shack or that he's committed elsewhere? I think it's pretty ambiguous.

"When [Armstrong was] asked: "Who are you bringing with you to the RadioShack team? What about George Hincapie?" The reply was simple:

"He’s already committed. Has been since before we got our funding."

Umm..

Lance: Hey George, you coming on board when we get funding?

BG: Sorry, Lance, I'm already committed to BMC and they ain't wearing Nike!

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    Not taking anything away from renshaw he is the man for the leadouts but even Cav post champs was singing big georges praises as the garmin train got completely killed by his turn prior to the last corner.

The comment saying he needs to look out for the company seem to match with the rumours that the BMC deal will agree to use the hincapie kit for team clothing etc as part of it (saw it somewhere but trying to find it again). Also a focus on the classics means he can maybe get the Paris Roubaix win he has always wanted.

Fpr Hincapie to win P-R next year, he's going to need to join Alonso's team.

Ferrari.

Strava is not Zen.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Steve Tcp
    The Guardian have just taken the Cycling News piece and re-reported it, it's not a different interview with Lance repeating what he said previously. Personally I'll wait and see. When Lance says "he was committed before we got our funding" that makes me think elsewhere - otherwise George was committing to a team that didn't exist for a salary that couldn't be agreed, which seems an odd thing to do. Plus there was the bad blood after THAT stage in Le Tour. I have a niggle that Armstrong is playing mind/ word games and so I won't believe the GH for The Shack story until it's in a statement by Hincapie himself.
    Take care,

Steve.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Steve Tcp
    Take care,

Steve.