Catagorised Climb

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Just out of interest, if this hill was on a Pro Tour route, would it be catagorised, and if so, what catagory, please?

The hill: http://www.mapmyride.com/route/hk/new%2 ... 3789646909

Thanks,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    About a third cat, may scrape 2nd at the end of a stage. Or if they are feeling generous, 1st!

In the middle of a stage though I would say 3rd...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'd say a Cat 2, at nearly 9% for 5km, the nearest in the year's Tour was about 2/3 of the way through stage 17 - that was a Cat 2
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    In Spain people (cycling fans, no Unipublic) begins to use APM coeficiente (www.altimetrias.com registred) that catagoside climb with the following ranking:

Apm Coef Cat.
    > 240 H.C.
    120 - 240 1ª cat
    60 - 120 2 ª cat
    30 - 60 3ª cat
    15 - 30 4ª cat

Examples:
    HC: Zoncolan (586 ), Angliru (515), Mortirolo (474), Ventoux (380), Tourmalet (342), Lagos de Covadonga (271),
    1ª: Arcalis (221 Andorra), Marie Blanque (205 Fr), Aspin (158), Abantos (135 Spain)
    2ª La Comella (Andorra) 85, Cotos (102, Spain), Arrate (110, Spain).....

It´s very easy to calculate:

http://www.altimetrias.net/articulos/coeficiente.htm
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • Vino
    Vino Posts: 184
    I have methods also based on adoring fans at roadside

5 deep is HC with thousands chearing The Calves and Vino in glorious flight
    4 Deep is 1st cat (or is veery cold and wet) thousands cheering The Calves and Vino in glorious flight.
    etc is simples reely.

Praise The Calves
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    NapoleonD wrote:
    About a third cat, may scrape 2nd at the end of a stage. Or if they are feeling generous, 1st!

In the middle of a stage though I would say 3rd...

+1 on that, depends where in the stage it would sit for sure.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    never a Cat 1. Ramaz and Colombiere are cat 1's and it takes the pro's take a good 50 mins to climb them. They'd fly up that in 20 mins.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    pat1cp wrote:
    never a Cat 1. Ramaz and Colombiere are cat 1's and it takes the pro's take a good 50 mins to climb them. They'd fly up that in 20 mins.

I'd agree there - it takes me about 35 minutes, so I reckon Contador could do it in about 15!! :cry:

:lol:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    It might even be categorized.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    pat1cp wrote:

Like Verbier?
    Cat1, 20 mins...