1 or 2 week UK Trip - Need Inspiration!

Jaeger
Jaeger Posts: 439
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi guys, I am in the (un?)enviable position of having to take 3 months unpaid leave from work. Now, rather than sit around watching Cash in the Attic, Jeremy Kyle and Golden Balls, I am intending to do a 1 or 2 week bike trip. It won't be my first, I've done a week in Belgium before, 2 weeks in Romania/Bulgaria/Serbia/Croatia and a 5-weeker in Australia. 8)

However, with the prospect of no income for the next few months, I'm trying to keep this one as cheap as possible. I'm tempted by a LEJoG attempt, but have never had a 'burning' desire to do this, more a faint curiosity. Like I say I am tempted, but put off by the hassle and cost of getting back to Reading from the Northern tip of Scotland. I would like to book in advance to get a cheap fare, but this puts a time limit on the trip and might feel a little rigid and pressured to cover big distances every day. :?

Another idea was to ride to Snowdon, then south through Wales and back West to home, in maybe a week or so. This avoids the train hassle as it would start and finish at home, but it seems to lack something. Maybe a round trip to the 3 peaks (Ben Nev, Scaffell and Snowdon)...!?!

Any experience of previous trips or LEJOG experiences would be great in helping me come up with a plan! I just don't want to waste this free time - it's not every day you find yourself free to plan bike trips at your leisure...

Cheers, Ben :)

Comments

• stevenmh
    stevenmh Posts: 180
    Sorry to hear about the unpaid part of this exciting adventure.

I have a question about this:
    I am tempted, but put off by the hassle and cost of getting back to Reading from the Northern tip of Scotland

Can't you ride one route there and another on the way back? Saves getting a train or plane.

If I had this much time I would probably be tempted to go to Ireland or mainland Europe. Never done either though.

Good luck.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    You have 2 weeks. That is plenty time to do a fair bit of traveling.

By hook or crook I would get over the channel.

You then have 2 options. The Alps or the Pyrenees! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Don't rule out northern Scotland - there's always the sleeper train. Unfortunately you would struggle to get a cheap train ticket at short notice, and you wouldn't want to go up there any later than September.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    My vote for what its worth - Eurostar to Avignon, work your way up through the Vercors to the Alps and then home.
  • Do the Lon Las Cymru from Chepsow to Holyhead - best British tour ever. There are hills, breathtaking scenery,coasts old castles interesting small towns, super people to meet on the way, .... I could go on. There are cheap railfares. I got from Liverpool - Chepstow for £18.
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    AidanR wrote:
    , and you wouldn't want to go up there any later than September.

Why?

If you've got three months off work, why are you only going away for a couple of weeks?