Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    I'm in the same boat... think i've narrowed it down to

Focus Cayo Exp SRAM
    Kuota Kebel
    Planet X Something (Ti or Carbon?... DA or SRAM Red?, bah... not as narrow as I thought)

The Kebel will cost you about £1800 with 105. about £2000 with Ultegra.

Not sure if there is value for money there. Never been keen on the shape of Planet X bikes. Focus are cool.

Would consider Wilier, De Rosa or Bianchi.

if you ask you can get the kebel cheaper. Dave Kane offered it me for £1550 - but wouldn't take cycle scheme - they didn't do a good price on the kharma though. cycleworld in abroath offered me a great deal on kuota £1550 - with a wheelupgrade to Easton EA90........Hope this helps
  • Test rode a Viner Gladius yesterday.

As I ride a hybrid with a rather wide handlebars + bar ends and haven't ridden a road-bike since I was a teenager, it was a curious experience!

Initial observations
    - On setting off....Am I actually going to be able to ride this thing?!! :?
    - Carbon rocks (how light?!)
    - Effortless....couldn't be sure as I had no comp but I'm sure I passed the magic 30mph on the flat
    - My legs felt bunched up
    - Wasn't entirely comfortable riding on the hoods because of confidence to squeeze the brakes but had the hang of it by the end of the 20 min ride...actually spend most of the time on the drops and loved it!!
    - Loved the clicking when freewheeling from the Campag rear cassette (?)
    - Standing up to accelerate was wobbly at first due narrower weight distribution
    - My current saddle is actually rather comfy (but could also be due to the 23mm tyres vs the 26mm that I have at the moment)

Next up for the test ride is a Wilier Mortirolo....will be interesting to see how it compares....
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    GB cycles is very good, some stunning bikes in there.. possibly a little pricey

Merckx, Bianchi's, Cervelo's and Pinarellos seem to be the most they show off

I want a new bike too
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Buy the bike that both a) fits, b) looks good to you and c) rides well.

Fit is most important aspect by a huge margin. I'd suggest getting a proper fit done by a shop that knows what they are doing, so (from my own knowledge) the likes of Cyclefit, Sigma, AW in Reading, Epic, John's in Bath (no, I am not kidding - it is well worth the trip). I'm sure there are others.

Fit should narrow your choices. Ride the bikes that fit and see which feels right for you. Take it from there.

Good luck, and enjoy.
  • Clever Pun
    Greg T wrote:
    That's what you think, it just PM'd a load of us, saying it wants a new owner - one with the legs for it. :twisted:

Best post ever.

I was having a good chuckle at that too
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Test rode a Viner Gladius yesterday.

As I ride a hybrid with a rather wide handlebars + bar ends and haven't ridden a road-bike since I was a teenager, it was a curious experience!

Initial observations
    - On setting off....Am I actually going to be able to ride this thing?!! :?
    - Carbon rocks (how light?!)
    - Effortless....couldn't be sure as I had no comp but I'm sure I passed the magic 30mph on the flat
    - My legs felt bunched up
    - Wasn't entirely comfortable riding on the hoods because of confidence to squeeze the brakes but had the hang of it by the end of the 20 min ride...actually spend most of the time on the drops and loved it!!
    - Loved the clicking when freewheeling from the Campag rear cassette (?)
    - Standing up to accelerate was wobbly at first due narrower weight distribution
    - My current saddle is actually rather comfy (but could also be due to the 23mm tyres vs the 26mm that I have at the moment)

Next up for the test ride is a Wilier Mortirolo....will be interesting to see how it compares....

My Magnifica felt a bit weird the first time I rode it- or wobbled on it! - it had been a decade since I'd used drops. Quickly got the hang of it though. Kind of like the Campag noise (freehub rather than cassette) myself, it's pleasantly quirky. I feel more comfortable on the hoods than the drops, generally (think I keep getting the hand position wrong so I can't shift). Your legs shouldn't feel bunched up though- get the right frame size, and get it fitted right, and you won't get that. Ride will be firmer than you're used to, but I don't find much difference between the Viner and the two Dahons (on 40mm)- frame does a lot of bump absorption. Carbon does indeed rock :)

Edit: Epic currently have a deal on the Gladius, £999 with Veloce/Miche Race group (Miche chainset, Veloce everything else....have that on mine). Absolute bargain I'd say. Magnifica's well worth a look as well, but nearly twice the price for same spec...That said, Velocity for one have deals on '09 bikes (I would heartily endorse a trip down to Pompey to see them, excellent service).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • One is always reluctant to add further confusion or put another spanner in the works but these look rather tasty… British as well :?

http://www.enigmabikes.com/
    Why are you laughing..? I'm not laughing...

14 year old Rocky Mountain Hammer S, still going strong, now on slicks...
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    That's what you think, it just PM'd a load of us, saying it wants a new owner - one with the legs for it. :twisted:

Best post ever.

Wellthankyouverymuch. :D
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

Best post ever.

Wellthankyouverymuch. :D

Oy, IP, check the dates! Mine was the original, and best! 8)
  • What was yours? Must have missed that one.
  • What was yours? Must have missed that one.
    The quotiest quotey thing. :D
  • What are you two on about?
  • Possibly one of the most procrastinated purchases in the history of bike research & buying but...

...I finally put an order in today at De Ver for a NEW ROAD BIKE.

As it's 2011 model should arrive in next couple of weeks.

Tick tock, tick tock!!

As for the marque/model, I keep that under wraps for now!

*GAME* competitor
  • Wilier Izoard XP (Red/Black/White colour scheme) with Veloce due for collection a week tomorrow.

As Sam Beckett once said, "Oh Boy!"

11IZXEN.jpg

*GAME* competitor
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Hurrah! Very, very nice, Si(r)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Purdy!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Oooh. Pretty!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Yum!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd really like one of those too.

I'm just down the road from De Ver's. Bit out of my price range though, so I'm going for a Ribble.
  • Clever Pun
    nice work... just in time for winter!
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Where is the basket? :lol:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?