Problem when adjusting air pressure in the fork?

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 61,111
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
I was playing with the shock pressures and sag in the garage the other night. When disconnecting the shock pump from the nozzle on the bottom of the fork, a (very small) amount of oily liquid sprayed out. Is this a problem?

Fork is a Rock Shox SID Team if that helps.

Cheers,
Steve.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    edited August 2009
    If you allow air to escape from the valve while the forks are pointing downwards then some oil will come out.

You'd have to flip the bike over so the forks are pointing up and then let it stand for a few minutes for the oil to move away from the valve.

I wouldn't worry about it though tbh.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,111
    Thanks, easily solved then :) I had the bike standing upright when I did it.

Cheers,
    Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • setspeed
    setspeed Posts: 141
    Can I hijack this thread? I've got a bike coming to me with Fox F100R forks on it - do i need to put my bike upside down to adjust the air pressure in my forks, or is this advice just for Rockshox?
    Thanks!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If the valve is on the top, no reason to. Some RS forks have two valves, one under the fork legs.
  • setspeed
    setspeed Posts: 141
    supersonic wrote:
    If the valve is on the top, no reason to. Some RS forks have two valves, one under the fork legs.

Thanks for clarifying that Supersonic, much appreciated :-)