Food digestion

Doombrain
Doombrain Posts: 360
edited August 2009 in Health, fitness & training
total noob trying to get some stamina back for trail riding here.

at the moment i'm doing 10-16 miles 3 or 4 times a week. the last time i went out i had a light meal at 6 then hit the road at 7.

the question is how long should i be waiting (as a rule of thumb) for the food to do down?
what types of food should i aim for to aid quick digestion with good return?

Half way through my last ride i have a enmormus wave of sickness that made me stop... :shock:

Other times i've found on the same route i don't need to stop and can happily push on.

TIA
LOL road riding.

Comments

• pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    At least two hours unless eating simple carbs such as bananas or energy gels.
  • Doombrain
    cheers
    LOL road riding.
  • it kind of depends how much you are doing, how much you eat and what you are like.

An hour is good for a light snack for me - but on heavy gym days I'd always throw up if I eat anything in the preceeding 5-6 hours. Then again ...on all day rides I stop for sandwiches for 30 mins and then get back on for several hours more riding.

When I do similar sessions to yourself, I prefer to have a light bite like a banana at 6, hit the trails at 7 and then eat when I return.
  • Doombrain
    that's the plan now. just been for a food shop, bought some bananas, flapjacks etc. light stuff is all i need right now as i'm only riding for 1 - 2 hours at a time in the week.
    LOL road riding.