WTF

fatgit
fatgit Posts: 166
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
I got myself a mountain bike at the weekend (Scott Aspect 45) first chance I got to take it out in anger was last night when I went to the chalk pits with a couple of mates. I was having a quick look around not doing anything too serious as I haven't been on a MTB for a few years. I started climbing a fairly steep incline so dropped down in the gears and then all of a sudden *CLUNK* "S**T that didn't sound good!" so I get off the bike to check it out and the rear deraileur/derailer has tangled itself up with the wheel. :( I manage to free it from the (now not so straight) spoke and free the chain from between the cassette and the hub where it was nicely wedged.

I put the bike into a higher gear to keep the deraileur clear of the wheel as a get home measure. Started cycling back and before I've got halfway back across the pits the chain snapped! :shock: GREAT!!

The ride home was fairly fun after that being pushed by my mates!

Needless to say I will be calling the shop later today!

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    It was either bent already or the L-screw was not set properly.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    Daz555 wrote:
    It was either bent already or the L-screw was not set properly.

I just wish I had have checked it all over after picking it up but having bought it from a reputable retailer I didn't think I would need to! that'll teach me :(
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Don't change gear with a lot of pressure on the pedals.