TDF in Pyrenees

nick hanson
nick hanson Posts: 1,655
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Does anyone have provisional dates for the TDf to be in the pyrenees?
I'm sorting a holiday for next year & hope to be there.
Am I correct in thinking the Tour starts on the first sat in July?
Is the tour due to run counterclockwise next year? (I'm thinking it will reach the Pyrenees about the weekend of the 10th july next year,does that sound about right?)
Thanks in advance for any info!
so many cols,so little time!

Comments

• bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    The route for this years Tour wasn't announced until the end of October, so you're likely to have to wait another couple of months for confirmation of the route..
  • Even making an educated guess is difficult because for the last two years it has been Pyrenees before the Alps, whereas traditionally they like to alternate.

I'd say the Pyrenees will be second, which if the Tour starts on the 3rd of July would be around the 21st-25th or so.

As bikerZA says though, the full route is announced in October and then you have to be quick to book hotels because the ASO get all the best ones before it's announced.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    I'm pretty sure the organisers say they go clockwise on odd years and anti clockwise on even. If that is the case then the Pyrenees will be hit before the Alps you would think and if that was so it would likely be around the end of the first full week; so with it starting on Sat 3rd July 2010 that would be around Friday the 9th onwards.
    Also we are due the every other year visit to Alpe d'Huez, which in recent years has been kept for towards to the end of the Tour; if that is anything to go by.
    But as other's have mentioned there is no real way of telling and if you can I would wait until October to finalise your plans just in case.
  • from www.velopeloton.com

Le Tour de France 2010.
    No evidence but some strong rumours here.
    Stage finish on Col d’Aubisque on 21st July after crossing Peyresourde, Aspin, Tourmalet and Soulor. Tour crossed same mountains on 21st July 1910.
    The week will look something like this.
    17 July: Rodez - Carcassonne
    18 July: Carcassonne - Plateau de Beille
    19 July: Foix- Bagnéres de Luchon-SuperBagnéres
    20 July: Rest day
    21 July: Bagnéres de Luchon - Col de Aubisque.
    22 July: Pau - La Pierre St Martin
    23 July: Pau - Bordeaux
    24 July: Bordeaux ITT
    25 July: Paris
    That's 4 mountain top finishes in the Pyrenees.
    Others still talking about Luz Ardiden and Col du Spandells and Argeles-Gazost.
    A lot of hotel bookings for 20, 21 ,22 in and around Pau.
  • That'd be great. We've been long overdue a Super-Bagneres finish in my opinion. Might need to go to Luchon again if it's true.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    dulldave wrote:
    That'd be great. We've been long overdue a Super-Bagneres finish in my opinion. Might need to go to Luchon again if it's true.

I heard when I was there that hotels were already taking block bookings for July 2010.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • shawman wrote:
    from www.velopeloton.com

Le Tour de France 2010.
    No evidence but some strong rumours here.
    Stage finish on Col d’Aubisque on 21st July after crossing Peyresourde, Aspin, Tourmalet and Soulor. Tour crossed same mountains on 21st July 1910.
    The week will look something like this.
    17 July: Rodez - Carcassonne
    18 July: Carcassonne - Plateau de Beille
    19 July: Foix- Bagnéres de Luchon-SuperBagnéres
    20 July: Rest day
    21 July: Bagnéres de Luchon - Col de Aubisque.
    22 July: Pau - La Pierre St Martin
    That's 4 mountain top finishes in the Pyrenees.
    Others still talking about Luz Ardiden and Col du Spandells and Argeles-Gazost.
    A lot of hotel bookings for 20, 21 ,22 in and around Pau.

That would certainly put the teeth back in the pyrenees. 3 consecutive summit finishes.
  • That would be ace.Am already mentally packing the trailer tent (with fridge for the beer,of course!),& thinking of either a site or on one of the climbs for about 5 nites,then nip to Bordeaux.
    Then possibly drive into the nite,so can see 'em on't Champs Elsie!!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Latest from www.velopeloton.com

The rumour mill continues apace. Based on what I have heard in the last week it now looks like this.

17 July: Rodez - Revel
    18 July: Revel - Luchon
    19 July: Rest Day
    20 July: Luchon - Col d'Aubisque
    21 July: Col du Tourmalet ITT
    22 July: Pau - Arette

A TT on the Col du Tourmalet, could it be true?
  • Can't see ITT finishing at top of Tourmalet, more likely La Mongie to cater for TV, crowds, etc.
  • thomasmc wrote:
    Can't see ITT finishing at top of Tourmalet, more likely La Mongie to cater for TV, crowds, etc.

shame but either would be good.

much rather have a mountain time trial than the team trial
  • ITT from the west approach to the Tourmalet would be a treat if it finished in La Mongie - one hell of a climb, followed by a short, steep, hairy descent into La Mongie. Perhaps a little too hairy for the riders? Imagine the descent with spectators 3 or 4 deep - got to be a tad on the risky side.
  • I've always thought a good idea for a time trial is one from Bedoin to Carpentras over the baldy mountain
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    I've always thought a good idea for a time trial is one from Bedoin to Carpentras over the baldy mountain

i suppose mountain TTs are marginally better than flat TTs in terms of excitement but they are still a waste of a mountain stage imo. Last years Giro TT up to Plan De Corones was a good example of this, big crowds to watch a decent TT but could have been so much better if it was a regular mountain stage.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I've always thought a good idea for a time trial is one from Bedoin to Carpentras over the baldy mountain
    That would include the descent and it would be too dangerous with riders pushing for time.

Latest route suggests it'll be from Amsterdam and into the Alsace, then cuts down through the centre of France to the Pyrenees, exploiting the massif central for some uphill finishes and then to the Pyrenees before looping over to the the Alps.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Kléber wrote:
    Latest route suggests it'll be from Amsterdam and into the Alsace, then cuts down through the centre of France to the Pyrenees, exploiting the massif central for some uphill finishes and then to the Pyrenees before looping over to the the Alps.

The start is in Rotterdam. The Giro starts in Amsterdam.
    A couple of days ago the first stage finish in Brussels was confirmed, with a very likely next finish in Spa in the Ardennes. That would now definitely point to a clockwise Tour with first Alps then Pyrenees
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    In fact forget my last post, I got it mixed up. The finale will be in the Pyrenees and the Alps will be lighter and visited first.