yorkshire trail centres?

woodenman
woodenman Posts: 60
edited August 2009 in MTB rides
Hi all, recently bought a carrera fury and been riding the local woods,singletracks,canals etc with a pal on a gt avalanche. Now were both itchin to try a trail centre in the yorkshire area with a bit of everythin really for a good all day thrash.

Can anyone tell me where to go as its gonna be my first time at a 'proper' trail centre?

Am from West Yorkshire (wakefield) but anywhere yorkshire will do.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• most of Yorkshire IS a trail centre, especially around Tod/Hebden but you could go north to Dalby, Nr Pickering.......if its ur first time tho dont underestimate it and take on board plenty of juice!! :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Dalby is brilliant. Went there for the first time a couple of weeks back and did the 25 mile red route. It's just soooo nice! The style and feel varies all through the course and often, the climbs are gained without it being obvious how much you are climbing. Mind you, the whole route is 25 miles and 3500ft I think. But as long as you are reasonably fit, take it easy and carefully, you should be fine. It isn't really that difficult technically.

Less nice is Stainburn which is North of Leeds - and a bit West of Harrogate; a bit too hard really. Been once and not back! Also went to Wharncliffe near Sheffield which looks potentially good but most of it was swamp on my visit!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MattHarper
    MattHarper Posts: 489
    Theres Dalby, Stainburn, Gisburn, Wharncliffe, Guisborough. Not to mention the mass of trails and single track in the Dales and Moors
    Yorkshire Man living in Somerset
    http://twitter.com/Mattharperbikin
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    Dalby is well worth the trip, some good stuff at Wharncliffe too but not a trail centre as such, if your prepared to explore theres lots of fun to be had.

I'm from Wakfield too, some good trails around if you know where to look, take al ook here, you may already know a lot of them, my mate "Girthmiester" has logged most of our regular loops & rides

http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath= ... 2Fpage%2F2

These are our regular routes, many variations on each once you know them,

Ring around New Hall, takes in Coxley woods - hard technical climb but lots of fun if you choose to come back down the same way.

Newmiller Dambuster - out to Winterset & back, lots of technical stuff in Nemiller & Haw Park woods once you know where they are, take your time and explore.

Sharlston, Wintersett, Newmillerdam - longer variation of the Newmiller route

Ferry Boat two pinter - along the Calder out towards Normanton then loop back round call in at the Ferryboat Inn then follow the cannal back toward town.
  • You've got the whole of the central Yorkshire Dales, plus Swaledale and you want to go into a forest?
    Frank Yates
  • Thanks for the replies people, sounds like dalby forest is the stand out ride here. 25 mile should be plenty for a good all day ride and seen a few comments saying its a quality ride. Also might have a look at wharncliffe just to check it out as its sheffield not too far and i dont mind the swampy conditions should be fun!!

Uncle monty thanks i do the coxley woods all the time i live right next to it all round new hall prison its loads a fun, not enough fast flowing stuff though. will check the routes out you pasted give them a blast.

Once again cheers, defo gonna do dalby v soon then wharncliffe should keep me busy!
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    if you want something nearer home, have a look at Newmillerdam and surrounding areas. there are a few mapped rides. Do a search in the 'Routes' section on here
    2014 Whyte T-129S