Giant STP SE

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited May 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Picked this up on Saturday, has barely been ridden and is in almost new condition.
Minor mark on the top tube but otherwise minty fresh; doubt it'll stay that way for long though! Found it on everyones favourite auction site.

Not sure what year it is, the SE seems to be either 2005 or 2007. It's built to a pretty budget spec to be honest, but I really wanted one in this colour ( :oops: ). Will gradually be upgrading as I need to, but for now it's a great play/skills bike.

Unfortunately a case of iritis (my eye is in a mess) means I can't really ride at the moment, so I've barely ridden it. A quick blast round the block was my lot, it manuals easily and is a great little bunny-hop machine so should be lots of fun.

sdc12365g.jpg
sdc12357k.jpg
sdc12358b.jpg
sdc12359.jpg
sdc12361.jpg
sdc12362.jpg
sdc12363.jpg

Off to put some more eye drops in my goggle now, here's hoping I'll get to ride it some time this week!
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    seems all right and it would be good to upgrade over time. get well soon
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Nice frame. good bike for chucking aroung.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Cheers both. Looking forward to getting it up to Woburn and chucking down the trails and trying some of the smaller, less scary dirt jumps.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Looks like a great little play bike.
    I have just built up a STP (your frame looks the same as mine which is 2006 - Giant Bikes Archive) - photos soon to compare with your build!
    May even see you at Woburn at some point - Im only 15 minutes away and go there quite a bit.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • nonnac85 wrote:
    Looks like a great little play bike.
    I have just built up a STP (your frame looks the same as mine which is 2006 - Giant Bikes Archive) - photos soon to compare with your build!
    May even see you at Woburn at some point - Im only 15 minutes away and go there quite a bit.

Ah - good link, cheers for that. Looks like it's actually a 2005 though (STP decal on the top tube and Giant on the down tube, vs the 2006 which has them the other way round).

Look forward to seeing yours built up. What spec are you going with? Gonna ride mine as is for a bit before I decide what direction to take it in.

I'll keep an eye out for you at Woburn then - I'll be the one sliding along the dirt on my chin. :lol:
  • nonnac85
    I'll be the one sliding along the dirt on my chin.
    and I'll probably be doing exactly the same a few minutes later!!

Here is my spec - its a self build: (will add photos when I have added the last few parts)
    Frame Giant STP (2006)
    Wheels Atomlab G.I 24F
    Skewers NA - with wheels
    Forks Marzocchi DJ2 2008
    Tyres Halo Twin Rail
    Inner Tubes 1 free - came with wheels, 1 from Tesco!
    Seat Post System EX Alloy
    Seat Clamp Brand X
    Saddle WTB
    Brakes Tektro IO cable discs (F+R)
    Brake Discs Hayes V6 (6") - pair
    IS / PM adaptor Rear adaptor
    Cranks SR Suntour Duro 2007 (Square Taper)
    Pedals Wellgo V8 Copy (Red)
    BB - came with frame
    Bars DMR Wingbars (Mid Rise)
    Grips DMR Flange Zip Grips (red)
    Headset M:Part Inline Lo-Profile (24mm stack)
    Headset Spacers Superstar Components
    Stem Tioga Task Force Y
    SS Conversion Kit NA - with wheels
    Chain Free - from spares box, SRAM
    Chain Tensioner Kore
  • mullen18
    mullen18 Posts: 38
    I had one of these and there great bikes to ride. I took mine down Lem 4X and the thing was mega fast. Strong bikes aswell.
  • Well, despite my failing vision in my right eye, after a week without riding I decided I couldn't take any more so took the STP out for a blast through Woburn Woods.

Armed with an out of date pair of glasses (can't wear contacts while I'm on medication) I set off on an unfamiliar bike down rough terrain with swimming vision. Remarkably, despite a shaky start all went pretty well.

With the seat up it peddles reasonable well for a toy bike, easily useable for short trail blasts. Even climbs if necessary, but I wouldn't want to do any long up hill stints.

Seat down it's great fun. Really snappy acceleration and confidence inspiring over the rough stuff.
    Don't have the courage to try the dirt jump area yet (especially with my Magoo-a-vision) but I tackled a few tricky jumps and drops on the trails that until now had put me off.

Gonna start shopping for upgrades now...
  • nonnac85
  • supertwisted
    edited August 2010
    Bit of an update, frame and saddle are about the only original bits on the bike now.

Something of a labour of love this bike, my goal of building a great big bmx which can also be ridden reasonable distances on trails.

Think I'm more or less there. Bars need cutting down I think and might need to replace the Recon at some point, but I'm happy with it for now.

Mismatched rims as I folded the DitchWitch I originally had on the rear when I landed on a curb. Oopsy.

sdc12843.jpg

sdc12839.jpg

sdc12838.jpg

Frame: 2005 STP SE
    Forks: 2007 Recon 335
    Bars: Outland D31Eight
    Stem: Outland D31Eight
    Headset: Cane Creek
    Grips: Outland
    Brakes :Hayes Stroker Ryde
    Seat:Giant OE
    Seat Post: Kalloy 400mm
    Cranks: Deore M590
    Chainring(s): 32t
    Tensioner: Gusset Bachelor
    Chain: Z510 Single Speed
    Pedals: Gusset SlimJim
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano HT2
    Front Wheel: Sunn DitchWitch
    Hub:M475
    Tire: Tioga Square of Eight 26x2.1
    Back Wheel: Halo SAS
    Hub: Halo Spindoctor
    Tire: Halo Knobbler 26x2.2

Weight: No idea, prob 30lbs
  • Alienman
    Alienman Posts: 91
    I like the upgrades, big fan of the purple accents.
    '09 Rocky Mountain Fusion
  • supertwisted
    Alienman wrote:
    I like the upgrades, big fan of the purple accents.

Thanks. Finding purple shiny things has proven to be quite hard for some reason. Might get some matching crank bolts to finish it off.

Only got it back together today after some tire clearance issues (those Tiogas are never a 2.1).
    Off to Woburn tomorrow, will be my first proper ride in ages.
  • Alienman
    Alienman Posts: 91
    Purple doesn't seem that popular of a color in the mountain biking world, probably not tough enough.
    '09 Rocky Mountain Fusion
  • supertwisted
    Alienman wrote:
    ... probably not tough enough.

That pretty much sums up my riding style. :lol:
  • supertwisted
    nice transformation :)

Cheers, now i just need some free time to ride it.