Fork seals

alomac
alomac Posts: 189
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
I just came back from a ride to find that both seals on my Dart 3 fork have been pushed up slightly out of their mounts. It's probably only one or two millimetres, but its enough to expose the metal coils that keep in in place, and make me way of washing or using the bike lest dirt or water find their way in.

I was looking at RS' technical manual and was wondering if its worth trying to reseat the springs myself, or if I should just take the whole mess back for the dealer to sort out. I've been riding a lot harder over the last few days as my confidence improves - would this have had something to do with it? Should I start putting money aside for a burlier fork?

Cheers,
Adam.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They should just push back in. Use a bit of chain oil on the stanchions after.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and you should not be able to see the springs :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • alomac
    Thanks for the advice, but I can't seem to push them in. When I push a section down, all that seems to happen is that the coil bulges outward rather than disappearing into its slot. I think the slot may be full of crud, hence the talk of disassembly.

On the other topic, I do make a habit of applying chain lube to the fork after each ride. I squirt some around the circumference of the seal, cycle the fork a couple of times and then wipe of the excess along with the crud it pulls out.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You got any pics of this?
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    The spring thing that pulls the seal tight is always visible isn't it?

Atleast on the 5 sets of front shox I have.

Example pic (not mine, just googled it up):
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/fork ... stseal.jpg
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • nicklouse
    ok if the above spring/coil is what you are on about.

fit the seal first and then seat the seal spring. after cleaning out the crud.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • alomac
    That spring is indeed the one I'm on about, but they were nver visible on my fork until today. I could post a picture, but it would look exactly the same so there's little point.

With the procedure you describe nicklouse, I assume that's with the fork disassembled.

Cheers,
    Adam.
  • nicklouse
    nope

they would have been visible before just not noticed.

BPC312006.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-04.jpg
  • nicklouse wrote:
    nope

they would have been visible before just not noticed.

BPC312006.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-04.jpg

yeh most fork seals are like this and yours will definatly be, you just wont have noticed the spring before
    I recon im the tinyest horse you will ever see