Tour Of Dartmoor - 26th Sept 2009

Flambes
Flambes Posts: 191
http://www.tourofdartmoor.com/

Anyone doing it? Not too many entries yet on the site.
Thought I'd not do another this year after the Dartmoor Classic, but here I go again :roll:

Course looks tough for the first half, but nothing terrible after that. And they are also going the right way, i.e. down Dartmeet and Widdecombe.

Maybe reccy the tough part of the course next week (if anyone is interested).

Comments

• not entered yet , but be there. :)
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I'm signed up for this one. Did the Classic, that was tough, and this looks just as difficult. A lot can depend on the weather I reckon though. Went for a medal in the Classic but if the weather turns bad for this one i'll just go for a decent finish.
  • There's a good reason why the Tour of Dartmoor is undersubscribed. It's dull!
    The course is ill-conceived, with some stupidly steep and slippery narrow roads at the front and 20 miles of dragging country lanes leading to an un-inspiring park finish with speed-bumps to make it even less enjoyable.

If you liked the Dartmoor Classic, you will HATE this. There is nothing rewarding at all about the course once you've reached the lanes around Mothercombe. Medal times are unrealistic so you can't even really use that as an aim (I got Gold at the Dartmoor Classic, so I should be able to manage Silver at the Tour of Dartmoor, but never got better than Bronze, and I tried twice).

Save your £27, and do the Dartmoor Classic course again with a bunch of friends, you will get much more satisfaction out of your ride.
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    Agree with you there William, couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Flambes
    Blimey :shock:

Pretty damning stuff there. I'll probably do the last half as well before deciding on whether to do the event or not, I've no idea of the roads in that part of Devon.

If I don't, it's only the Exmoor beast that looks like a contender. Anyone know of any more Sportives in the SW this year?
  • oh er....doesn't sound good :oops: :cry:

Why don't we organise our own ride around the classic course one sat or sun :wink:

Anyone up for it... :P
  • May I add that I sent an email to the organisers, suggesting a couple of changes to the course to improve, and this, straight after the last edition. Did I get a response? Nooooo of course.
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • Flambes wrote:
    Blimey :shock:

Pretty damning stuff there. I'll probably do the last half as well before deciding on whether to do the event or not, I've no idea of the roads in that part of Devon.

If I don't, it's only the Exmoor beast that looks like a contender. Anyone know of any more Sportives in the SW this year?

There are a few events organised by the CTC Devon in Sep[tember and October. They won't be as fast as sportives, but will take on some interesting rouite and will be a who;e cheaper and more rewarding than the Tour of Dartmoor.

More details on the >:-( iNSaNe CTC website: www.ctcdevon.co.uk
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • yogi
    Okehampton CC are organising a 100 mile reliability trial this Sunday 16th. Details on our website.

Or if you want a good 100 mile route why not join the YOGi's one Saturday... or a Sunday if Mr. Tricolore's coming along.
  • I don't getr to ride much on Sundays these days because of work and family comittments, but if anyone is up to do the Dartmoor Classic course on 20th or 27th September, let's post here
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • Mr T.....count me in for the 20th ....so long as you're not an E/1/2 speedster... :shock:
  • yogi
    I might be able to make the 20th. Though I'm doing a 100 mile ride to see the Tour of Britain on the Friday and The Three Peaks Cyclocross race the following Sunday!

Perhaps we should organise a YOGi Century.
  • yogi wrote:
    I might be able to make the 20th. Though I'm doing a 100 mile ride to see the Tour of Britain on the Friday and The Three Peaks Cyclocross race the following Sunday!

Perhaps we should organise a YOGi Century.

Yogi Century sounds great to me!
    I'll put down the 20th of September as date to do it.
    It would be great to have a mention of it on the Yogi site and point to it here.

... and by the way, I'm not even a cat 4!
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • Flambes
    Nice one guys.

I'll mention it to my small group of riders I have here at work.
    One of them has a grudge against the Classic course and would love to tame it.

I haven't even got a cat, allergic you see.
  • yogi
    You sure you want to do the Dartmoor Classic course again? We could do a slightly different version starting from Plymouth but use many of the same roads... just in a different order. Saves having to drive to Kingsteignton.

Where would you other guys be coming from?
  • ...i'm coming down from Bournemouth , so not bothered where we start 8)
  • best I don't try to setup a new route, I would only get us lost!
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • yogi
    I'll have a look at it in the next couple of days. Perhaps we could arrange a YOGi social for the evening - could be FUN. I'll put the idea forward t'committee.
  • yogi
    Okay, how about this for a route? Might have to add a lap of Burrator Reservoir to make-up the 100. This route includes the climbs of Pork Hill, Dartmeet and Widecombe. Total climbing; about 8000ft. Start from B&Q Marsh Mills, Plymouth at 0900hrs on Sunday 20th September. More info in the coming weeks.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... urse=74877
  • BEAutiful....count me in :lol:
  • Flambes
    Well, that wasn't a whole lot of fun. Did the first 40 miles today of the Tour today.
    Started at Ashburton, so had a bit of time to warm up before the first climb, but on the day it would be straight into it with cold legs.
    Then onto the climb to Buckland, which is very steep, very narrow, poor surface, quite a few sticks / branches around. Saving grace was it was dry, would have been a mare in the wet and another 100+ riders around.
    Up to Haytor and a fantastic decent towards Bovey, then onto the Classic route up to Manaton, great climb that.
    Widdecombe fine, then short cut to Dartmeet and back towards Ashburton.
    Now I'm really not sure about doing it, usually I enjoy cycling over Dartmoor, but the start was so brutal, and I couldn't get into a rhythm.
    Like the route of the Yogi ride, apart from going up Dartmeet and Widecombe. Especially Widecombe :shock:
  • yogi
    It would be rude not too include Dartmeet and Widecombe - they are Dartmoor Classics.

The climb up The Pear Tree (as we call it) is very good at 4 miles of stedy climbing and great when followed by the descent of Grimspound to Widecombe.

Yes, the start of the Tour of Dartmoor is brutal.

This is a good training route by my friend Ken Middlemiss http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/fo ... ning-route

A few of us just did the Okehampton CC 100 today - lovely route, the cue card was spot-on, it only cost £2 and I'd recommend it for next year.

Where abouts are you based Flambes?
  • Flambes
    Exeter pretty much, so not too far away from you chaps.
    If I'm definitely not doing the Tour, I'll certainly consider your 100 on the 20th.
  • yogi.....do you think we should start a new thread to advertise this Yogi century ride ? :?
  • yogi
    Umm, dunno. We don't want it to get too big really. Maybe if people could register on our website - if they intend to take part.

Here's the 100 mile route again as I re-registered it http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... urse=76213

I've got 2 ideas for a 100 K route to - will decide on that one soon. I expect we'll have some takers for that as well.

Are we going to have a cafe stop? Should really.
  • ok....will leave it here......a cafe stop sounds good.....either just before the 100k point where the road goes up or at the top after the climb (as a reward for getting up to the high ground)?

I'll leave it in your capable hands....

Also, will it be 1 group setting off or are you planning on 2 groups to cater for the varying degrees of ability...assuming that everyone will be fit enough to complete a Century, the only variable will be riders average speeds which may range from 15-20mph...
  • yogi
    You'll have job to average anything over 17mph on this course. There will probably be a 100 mile and a 100 kilometre group. If there are enough riders I'm sure they will settle into their relative groups. I'll probably do a route direction sheet too and possibly some arrows at junctions.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I am interested in the Yogi century. Is there parking at the start? Some superstores are a bit funny about people parking all day in their carpark
  • yogi
    Hi Vorsprung,

I think some do still park in B&Q but I have heard that they will be clamping down on it(good pun). It is possible to park in the road outside the store but if you like you can park in my street which is only 5 mins away and ride down with me. Same goes for anyone really - I'll PM my address.

Anyone interested in a barbeque afterwards if we all bung in a fiver say?

If people coming along can you post on the YOGi site as to what distance you'll be riding and whether you'll be joining us for a barbie afterwards.
  • yogi
    You boys still joining us then?