Gear shifting - highest gears make unhealthy-sounding noise!

fitzburghlettuce
fitzburghlettuce Posts: 6
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hey everyone, just wondering if anybody could help me with a problem I'm having with my new Giant Boulder. I've had it for three days, and with the 21-speed (Shimano) gears I'm finding that on the largest chain ring out of the three controlled by the front derailleur as well as the highest two gear ratios (out of seven) controlled by the rear derailleur a nasty clattering sound can be heard.

Of course, I have 6 weeks in which I can get it serviced for free but I was wondering if there was a simple solution to this to save me the train ticket and also so I could get some experience looking after my bike myself.

I've scanned the workshop articles, just as I have no experience in this sort of area I really feel quite out of my depth! If somebody could pinpoint the problem (if that's possible, I'm really quite clueless so I'm hoping I'm not asking anyone to be psychic!) that would be great.

It's quite a small niggle really, I've been avoiding those chain rings for fear of potentially worsening the matter and otherwise, it's been really good to ride about insofar, despite the apparent need for padded shorts. Ah.

If anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you should not be using those gear combo.

Do not use the big front with big rears. Like you do not use the small front with the small rear.

If while in the middle ring you get clattering in the big or small rear cogs you may need to set up or trim the front or rear mech.

But all this resetting should be covered buy the shop in the first service.

for setting up gears read parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ah it does occur when I'm in the middle ring but only on the high gears, as it is that would explain the big front I assume! Thanks though, I will take note! I had a sneaking suspicion that it was somehow related to my incompetence, ugh :lol:
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I got the same problem with gears.

On my old scott I never had a problem, but since I got my focus super bud 2008, My gears are not the same.

Maybe it was the lbs.

I was climing a massive hill today and was in the lowest gear of the 9 speed.

And on the rear it was in the middle on the cassette, and my chain kept skipping.

Is there some place we can get a dummys guide to gears?

Thanks and sorry to hijack